Padi DM Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dolphan73

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am currently a DM candidate through SDI. To obtain the DM cert through Padi also, do I need to take elearning course and purchase crewpack or is everything included in crewpack?

What's the question behind your question?

Do you want to become an SDI DM as well as a PADI DM? If so, why?

If you want to become a PADI DM you'll need to complete all of the requirements:

PADI DM Reqs.JPG

The Knowledge development segments can be done as elearning or academic sessions with an instructor. The Crew Pak costs are for the materials only, and do not include either eLearning costs or and fees that a shop would charge.

Required to own crewpack. Has hologram included as proof of ownership of required materials. No hologram no certification.

not sure what you are really looking for here. why on earth would you want/need PADI DM as well as SDI DM? One DM course was quite hard enough for me...thank you! Unless the business hiring you requires a PADI DM. I would accept any recognized DM cert (SDI, PADI, NAUI, etc). SDI DM is as globally recognized as any other of the agencies.

not sure what you are really looking for here. why on earth would you want/need PADI DM as well as SDI DM? One DM course was quite hard enough for me...thank you! Unless the business hiring you requires a PADI DM. I would accept any recognized DM cert (SDI, PADI, NAUI, etc). SDI DM is as globally recognized as any other of the agencies.

A non-PADI DM cannot be a teaching assistant for a PADI course.

If I were the OP, and wanted to work at a PADI shop after becoming an SDI DM, I would become a PADI AI instead. Would probably take the same amount of effort/time/money (or even less) as repeating a full DM program.

If I were the OP, and wanted to work at a PADI shop after becoming an SDI DM, I would become a PADI AI instead. Would probably take the same amount of effort/time/money (or even less) as repeating a full DM program.
This is an excellent suggestion. Crossing over laterally between agencies is often painful. Using one agency's credentials as an equivalent prerequisite for the next level of certification make a lot of sense.

i meant accepted as a level of certification. I cannot use a PADI DM in an SDI OW class either. Its a standards and procedures thing. But for a dive boat, i can put a DM guide in the water with the c-card from any agency.

Reactions: RJP
This is an excellent suggestion. Crossing over laterally between agencies is often painful. Using one agency's credentials as an equivalent prerequisite for the next level of certification make a lot of sense.
Forget about the pain, the extra $$$ is the issue for me.

Hey Dolphan 73,

When you complete eLearning, the exam is administered by PADI (online) and your PADI Instructor will need proof that you've completed and passed the eLearning too.
The CrewPak is a MUST, as it includes your Decal, which is...a bit like the serial number for your DM application.
The eLearning is an option of what's best for YOU to complete the knowledge development, because it's designed for candidates who may have the minimum duration to complete the practical skills, but they want to make the most of that time by practising the skills to master the performance requirements of the course AND more importantly gain as much diver experience as they can in that time they have available to spare...rather than use any of that time to review knowledge development when that can be done independently - online!

If you are a candidate of the SDI Divemaster program, you don't need to qualify as DM in the PADI organisation if you wanted to continue onto the PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC). Our Go PRO team will assess all candidates' qualifications to ensure they meet the pre-requisites of our award winning IDC. As long as the dive leadership level is an equivalent to the PADI Divemaster course, it's fine :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom