PADI DM class with NAUI Rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeskyMonkey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone.

Me and my wife are taking the NAUI Rescue class next month.
We plan on eventually taking a PADI DM class. Does this class count for the PADI rescue class? I am asking because I noticed that NAUI also has an advanced rescue class. I tried searching but could not find an answer.

Thanks in advance.

Having taken both the NAUI and PADI Rescue courses, in my personal opinion, the NAUI course is more robust and results in a stronger rescue diver. Just say'n.

Hello everyone.

Me and my wife are taking the NAUI Rescue class next month.
We plan on eventually taking a PADI DM class. Does this class count for the PADI rescue class? I am asking because I noticed that NAUI also has an advanced rescue class. I tried searching but could not find an answer.

Thanks in advance.
All of my training prior to completing the PADI DM course was through NAUI. That included Rescue, O2, Master Diver, etc. I had no problem crossing over. That said, I think your PADI Instructor does have the final say.

While you're on that path, I'd strongly recommend the NAUI Master Diver course. That foundation really made the DM coursework a breeze.

Good luck with your training!

NAUI Rescue or Adv Rescue will both qualify as prerequisite to PADI DM.

You're going to have to ask a NAUI instructor to teach an Advanced Rescue class. It's often not shown in dive shop ads, simply because it's kinda unique compared to other agencies; so often not heard of. Any NAUI Instructor can teach it.

NAUI Rescue deals mainly from perspective of a buddy team & response to emergencies.

NAUI Adv Rescue does all this but also touches on Accident supervision & management. ie from the perspective of a DM or dive site supervisor. So how to make a Emergency Action Plan with protocols to preventing incidents & responses to emergencies if your safety nets fail.

You will touch on those Advanced Rescue topics in any DM class, so it could be beneficial to have it early but I wouldn't hurt yourself over hunting specifically for the class, if you don't have good local options.

Here's the synopsis in my Instructor handbook; I see the NAUI website is more vague:
Rescue Scuba Diver:
OVERVIEW AND QUALIFICATIONS
This course trains divers in the knowledge and skills needed to manage risks and effectively handle limited in-water problems and diving emergencies. Included are: assists, transports, surface rescues and rescues from depth involving both boat- and shore-based skin and scuba divers. The course meets the prerequisite rescue training for NAUI Skin Diving Instructor, NAUI Assistant Instructor, NAUI Divemaster and NAUI Instructor certifications. Note: Adult CPR training (approximately four hours) meets the requirement for Rescue Scuba Diver certification. However additional CPR training that includes two-person CPR and the use of rescue breathing barrier devices, e.g., pocket mask, face shield, is required to meet the requirements for NAUI leadership certification.
• Graduates are considered competent to perform assists and rescues in open water provided the diving site and diving situations approximate those of the course.
Graduates may use this certification to meet the prerequisite for the NAUI Training Assistant specialty course, NAUI leadership courses and NAUI Instructor course.

Advanced Rescue Scuba Diver:
OVERVIEW AND QUALIFICATIONS
This is a certification course for certified scuba divers who desire to assume greater rescue capabilities during diving activities. The training emphasizes accident supervision and management with practical applications in open water. This course is designed specifically to provide the knowledge and skills necessary to:
• Help prevent diving accidents.
• Recognize life-threatening diving situations.
• Correctly initiate and/or supervise rescue/assist procedures.
• Effectively perform in-water rescue/assist techniques and procedures.
• Correctly manage rescue assistants during and after rescues.
• Provide immediate, effective post-rescue aid.
• Correctly manage a diving emergency with adjustments for local variants. Graduates are considered competent to perform assists and rescues

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom