NAUI Rescue vs NAUI Advanced Rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. I know of one specific occasion when BSAC instructor friend of mine, demanded that a NAUI Advanced certified diver take remedial training with him before accepting him to the requested training course, because the NAUI certified diver was a veritable shitshow in the water.
And I have seen the reverse [and taught both], who thought warm water drift diving would be easy.

Ego to zero.

And I have seen the reverse [and taught both], who thought warm water drift diving would be easy.

Ego to zero.
I think the undercurrent (no pun intended) of this discussion is that one’s experience will vary.

Regarding BSAC, the organization comes across very safety conscious and what little I know of their rules is that they have some strict safety guidelines…even if BSAC divers don’t always follow all those rules/guidelines in practice.

YMMV prevails.

-Z

@Zef maybe it sounded different than intended but I’m not arguing or trying to force anything. I’m not sure where it came off as pedantic…

I’m just sharing my thoughts and trying to get other people’s opinions, no animosity at all here.
I added some additional details with different examples, so we’re not just circling around the same thing with no progress. We started with what dive ops usually recognise and now talking about what different agencies consider, it’s a tad different.

A discussion doesn’t have to be A to B and then end, I think.
Now if you say this talking is too detailed/so specific that it doesn’t make sense to you anymore, that’s totally fine and I will concede it’s borderline nitpicking.
But these kinds of details do interest me! (And I haven’t started talking about CMAS and the different countries’ delegations)

If you really want to get an apples to apples comparison, use the WRSTC guidelines. All of the major cert agencies follow those minimum standards at this point.

WRSTC doesn't even have an "advanced" level.

Or you can take it back an additional level to ISO standards, they have the following certification levels:
RSTC STANDARDISO STANDARDALTERNATIVE ISO TITLE
Introductory Scuba ExperienceNo equivalent
No equivalentLevel One DiverSupervised Diver
Open Water DiverLevel Two DiverAutonomous Diver
Dive SupervisorLevel Three DiverDive Leader
Assistant InstructorLevel 1 Instructor
Scuba InstructorLevel 2 Instructor
Instructor TrainerNo equivalent
No equivalentService Provider

Anything beyond that is marketing by the individual agencies. It is probably intended to be mixed up and confusing so you stick with a particular agency. So with SSI "stress and rescue" is a pre requisite for the Dive Con class, but you only have Naui Rescue diver. Well now you have to take another SSI class, even though it's the same as what you have and any reasonable shop or instructor would accept the NAUI equivalent.

NAUIs lower level leadership classes are also misaligned with everyone else. NAUI goes Assistant Instructor to DM to Instructor. Everyone else goes DM to AI to Inst.

So it actually isn't rescue that is ancillary training, it is Advanced that is ancillary training. But you can get OW and rescue and never dive deeper than 30 feet, so if a shop is asking for advanced certification, it is probably because there is some depth or tricky environmental conditions involved in the dive. Advanced demonstrates that you have at least a little bit of experience in the environment the dive will be taking place in, while rescue does not.

....tle bit of experience in the environment the dive will be taking place in, while rescue does not.
Exactly.

Reactions: Zef
I’d rather only carry one card than a collection of different cards. So aow it is then
Why would you carry the cards? I keep a photo of the front and back of the cards in a folder on my phone and backed up on a google drive account. If there is a question I can show the photos, I have yet to be asked to show a photo.

Why would you carry the cards? I keep a photo of the front and back of the cards in a folder on my phone and backed up on a google drive account. If there is a question I can show the photos, I have yet to be asked to show a photo.

Just in case I’m running out of battery (which is likely if I’m travelling) and some shops might not accept a picture of a card (photoshop risk and not able to check online on their side for example).

Basically my question was for dive ops who require a minimum of AOW.

1) I read that if you show a PADI Rescue card, then it satisfies their requirements (since they assume an AOW is required for PADI Rescue, even if technically it’s not completely correct)
—> Is that true?

2) Is it also the case if you show a Rescue card from another agency like NAUI that for sure doesn’t require AOW (which would mean they apply the PADI logic to all agencies without considering the different specificities)

Not discussing whether it makes sense or not (considering a Rescue course has nothing to do with depth for example), I just wanted to know how it works in practice. I normally dive with my own club, so not familiar with dive ops/charters.

Just in case I’m running out of battery (which is likely if I’m travelling) and some shops might not accept a picture of a card (photoshop risk and not able to check online on their side for example).

Basically my question was for dive ops who require a minimum of AOW.

1) I read that if you show a PADI Rescue card, then it satisfies their requirements (since they assume an AOW is required for PADI Rescue, even if technically it’s not completely correct)
—> Is that true?

2) Is it also the case if you show a Rescue card from another agency like NAUI that for sure doesn’t require AOW (which would mean they apply the PADI logic to all agencies without considering the different specificities)

Not discussing whether it makes sense or not (considering a Rescue course has nothing to do with depth for example), I just wanted to know how it works in practice. I normally dive with my own club, so not familiar with dive ops/charters.

Just to be clear PADI does not require AOW to enroll in Rescue, they just require Adventure Diver, this is a screen shot from the rescue class webpage (Rescue Diver | PADI)

1673622198695.png

If I am required to show an AOW card for the day of diving Ill show them a photo of my AOW card and that's it. There is zero reason to show the Dive Op anything higher than that.

I'm not trying to challenge or belittle you but I just think you might be misinformed.

So how you do interprete that (genuine question)?

View attachment 763198

View attachment 763197

Thank you, didn’t know that
To through another spanner ...

BSAC now has two Advanced diver grades.
1. Advanced Ocean Diver, and
2. Advanced Diver.

The first takes an Ocean Diver to 30m and teaches mid-water DSMB deployment with some navigation, the second is an individual capable of organising dive trips anywhere from any platform using OC, CCR and/or trimix; they may or may not be an instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom