PADI DM 400M freestyle and 15M tread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im still have trouble getting specific answers, LOL. I shave nearly 2 minutes off my 400M time with using a mask and snorkel versus nothing, not even goggles.. Also, my time is much faster in a 25M pool than open water even though my turns suck. I always considered myself a pretty strong swimmer. I didnt realize how much room there was for improvement until I started timing my swims a few months back. Working on stroke and turns lately.
Supplying you with the verbatim standards covers MOST of your questions.
I would interpret the "without swimming aids" to include not using a mask and snorkel. There is a different exercise for mask/fins/snorkel, after all!!
Goggles? I don't have an answer. If it was that important to a DMC of mine, I would have to call PADI to ask.
I infer you are also wondering about pool vs open water for the swim. The standards don't cover that, so I would say either one is fine. They also don't say if the water needs to be fresh or salt, warm or cold, or what color swim shorts you can wear. It's just not that complicated at that point.

So if you have any other remaining questions, go ahead and ask, just be focused and specific. We can clarify from past training and experience for you, but if something is actually open to interpretation, that question is for the folks that wrote the standard.

Just a bit of advice though - if you wind up with an instructor that has a couple of quirks regarding minor differences in interpretation of a standard, pick your battles carefully regarding what you need to contest. If the instructor says "no goggles" to you, just how important is it to you win that argument? If the instructor is just wrong over and over, you need a different instructor. But if you start nit-picking details, it rarely makes life any easier.

-Good bits too-

Just a bit of advice though - if you wind up with an instructor that has a couple of quirks regarding minor differences in interpretation of a standard, pick your battles carefully regarding what you need to contest. If the instructor says "no goggles" to you, just how important is it to you win that argument? If the instructor is just wrong over and over, you need a different instructor. But if you start nit-picking details, it rarely makes life any easier.

I'll highlight this.

When I choose an instructor I go for one I personal trust to have my best interest at heart and the desire to provide the best value for the course I'm taking.

If I feel the need to question this and police my own minimums because they are cutting corners or poorly twisting the requirements to stroke their own egos (so they have a "tough pass" reputation) I vote with my dollars and find another mentor.

Side note: twice now I have chosen to just finish the course, provide an a clear review and feedback and afterwards move on to a better trainer next time.

Supplying you the berba

Supplying you with the verbatim standards covers MOST of your questions.
I would interpret the "without swimming aids" to include not using a mask and snorkel. There is a different exercise for mask/fins/snorkel, after all!!
Goggles? I don't have an answer. If it was that important to a DMC of mine, I would have to call PADI to ask.
I infer you are also wondering about pool vs open water for the swim. The standards don't cover that, so I would say either one is fine. They also don't say if the water needs to be fresh or salt, warm or cold, or what color swim shorts you can wear. It's just not that complicated at that point.

So if you have any other remaining questions, go ahead and ask, just be focused and specific. We can clarify from past training and experience for you, but if something is actually open to interpretation, that question is for the folks that wrote the standard.

Good advice. Honestly I probably wouldn't contest anything the instructor asks of me, even if I didnt agree with him. If I didn't succeed at the first try, I'd be doing it again, period. All my questions are generally for my preparation. I'm practicing all ways just in case. My particular instructor (at least the one I used for rescue and will be using for DM) doesn't like to give us all the details. He perceives it as giving you a blank copy of a test before the test. He wants us to be able to adapt to each particular situation dynamically and have a well rounded enough training regimen to handle anything he throws at us. I just generally over analyze EVERTHING. It's a habit I picked up in the type of work I do now, which is generally an asset when working on live electricity, not necessarily for everything though HAHA.

I'll highlight this.

When I choose an instructor I go for one I personal trust to have my best interest at heart and the desire to provide the best value for the course I'm taking.

If I feel the need to question this and police my own minimums because they are cutting corners or poorly twisting the requirements to stroke their own egos (so they have a "tough pass" reputation) I vote with my dollars and find another mentor.

Side note: twice now I have chosen to just finish the course, provide an a clear review and feedback and afterwards move on to a better trainer next time.
I have a good instructor, I probably overthink a lot of things and am sure I'll be fine.

Good advice. Honestly I probably wouldn't contest anything the instructor asks of me, even if I didnt agree with him. If I didn't succeed at the first try, I'd be doing it again, period. All my questions are generally for my preparation. I'm practicing all ways just in case. My particular instructor (at least the one I used for rescue and will be using for DM) doesn't like to give us all the details. He perceives it as giving you a blank copy of a test before the test. He wants us to be able to adapt to each particular situation dynamically and have a well rounded enough training regimen to handle anything he throws at us. I just generally over analyze EVERTHING. It's a habit I picked up in the type of work I do now, which is generally an asset when working on live electricity, not necessarily for everything though HAHA.

That's an interesting philosophy of teaching he has.

I welcome a student to study and learn and practice as much as they can on their own. Having strong watermanship skills coming into a class and already knowing the learning objectives, criteria and material makes my teaching a joy.

I can then focus on fine tuning their knowledge and build on the proficiency they already have. A methodical and conscientious student who wants to be prepared is a great thing.

To each their own. Feel free to keep posting up questions, we enjoy them!

Cameron

I understand wanting to hold back info on the "equipment exchange", as it is supposed to be a problem solving exercise, and preparing for it dilutes the value. But it doesn't take much for someone else to explain it to you, and if you fail on the first attempt there are no surprises on the second attempt, so there is no point in guarding it like the formula for Coca Cola.

That's an interesting philosophy of teaching he has.

I welcome a student to study and learn and practice as much as they can on their own. Having strong watermanship skills coming into a class and already knowing the learning objectives, criteria and material makes my teaching a joy.

I can then focus on fine tuning their knowledge and build on the proficiency they already have. A methodical and conscientious student who wants to be prepared is a great thing.

To each their own. Feel free to keep posting up questions, we enjoy them!

Cameron
I didn't mean to portray it in a way that tries to make him sneaky, he's not at all like that. I was saying that he wants us to develop everything fully and not just the narrow scope that will be on tests. We know what is going to be on tests, but he likes to have a little extra twist in there at times to see how you handle it and if you didnt handle it correctly, explain how you could have.

I understand wanting to hold back info on the "equipment exchange", as it is supposed to be a problem solving exercise, and preparing for it dilutes the value. But it doesn't take much for someone else to explain it to you, and if you fail on the first attempt there are no surprises on the second attempt, so there is no point in guarding it like the formula for Coca Cola.

A good example of this would be during our rescue. I had to rescue an unresponsive diver from about 100' off shore in moderately rough seas. The person I had to rescue was about 130lbs. I was easily able to do a pack strap carry once i got in waist deep water. The twist in this instance wasn't for me, it was for the 130 lb person had to do the same rescue for me at 6'1 235lbs. She managed to get it done. I don't think she was expecting to have to rescue someone my size. LOL...

@donburde if you are sweating the 400M swim, a lesson or two with a good swim coach or instructor should help cut a significant chunk of time off.

@donburde if you are sweating the 400M swim, a lesson or two with a good swim coach or instructor should help cut a significant chunk of time off.
I'm actually signed up for a 1 month advanced swimming course, lol, thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom