PADI Divemaster number

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DRomano

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In order to enter a PADI Divemaster course in Texas you must first get a divemaster number by sending PADI $15.00. The form says the Texas Education Agency requires this. Does anyone know why this is?

I've seen the form, but don't know why Texas requires this. That's the only place I know of where it's required. Here's what the form says:

NOTICE TO INSTRUCTORS OR DIVE CENTER STAFF

PRE-DIVEMASTER MEMBER APPLICATION FOR TEXAS ONLY
PRODUCT NO. 10143 (Rev. 11/05) Version 1.02 © PADI 2005
Effective July 15, 1986

Effective July 15, 1986, any diver in the state of Texas wishing to take a PADI Divemaster course must become a member of PADI prior to the beginning of the course, rather than after the course, as has been the policy previously. This initial level of membership in PADI is offered to those persons previously certified as PADI Rescue Divers or equivalent. The benefit of this membership is that such members may participate in courses of education offered by the association to its members. Please be reminded that nonmembers of PADI in the state of Texas may not enroll in Dive–master, Assistant Instructor, Instructor development Courses, or Instructor Examinations (IDC/IEs).
This procedure is in accordance with, and is required by, the Texas Education Agency

I wonder if other training agnecies have the same issue??

Unless I missed it I didn't see anything mentioned during my SSI IDC. I did have to do this prior to my PADI DM course though. It was explained to me and now can't remember. I will update when i find out.

I don't know why but I would guess that it's necessary in order to bypass some kind of regulation or certification requirement for an instructor teaching a professional level course. By being a "member" you make it non-public, perhaps a private organization can provide instruction to it's own members with less rules and regulations?

How do you regulate training in an industry that has no regulations?

Ken

The same way a state regulates anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom