Padi Deep Dive Speciality Course - Looking for advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ekewaka:
I can't imagine why they would want you to to do that. :wink:

they are probably down on their quotas for the month on selling pony bottles and reels. so there stuck with overstock and now its a requirement. for all their courses. haha.

It may not be a requirement for the course/shop but a requirement of the boat that they will be using to get to the dive site. Some northeast dive boats require a redundant air supply.

Island Hoppa:
i totally agree with jimlap. there is no need for any of those instruments on a padi deep diver course. all there going to do is bring you to 90-100 ft and see if where, where, when, and if you susceptible to narcosis. the instructor will have you write your name backwards or something to see if your mentally in the game. thats it. a pony bottle, reg and reel will set you back a few hundred un-necessary dollars. and like jimlap said un-necessary loading as well. ask around before commiting to dive with that lds. i think your being swindled into spending.
Seems like this is the whole PADI specialty, not just the one dive that's part of AOW which yeah is write your name on a slate stuff. My local shop says "Minimum tank requirements are two 100 cu. Ft. tanks with a 19 to 30 cu ft pony bottle or Double tanks. Also required is an alternate ascent line (wreck reel and lift bag or jersey up-line with lift bag)" They don't say you have to own it or buy it there.

Why complain about training all the time, then complain when places put more content in a course? I do agree they should include the stuff with the course or have rentals for a decent price. If it appears they are only out to sell stuff and insist you buy it from them, then it's lame.

Having to purchase the equipment listed sounds like a requirment of the store only. There is no PADI deep diver requirment to have that gear present during the dive. It is however recommended and desireable to have these pieces of equipment when doing deep diving. Many stores offer the class and in addition require certain gear to take the course. This serves two purposes. First is the ability of the store to generate more money and second is to motivate/supply you to have the appropriate gear for the type of diving you might do. It seems to me that purchasing a pony bottle, 1st and second stage is a bit excessive for a deep diver class. If you plan on pursuing this type of diving then I would buy the gear. They may have been better suited to make you buy decompressionm tables, lights, clips or a backup depth gauge. Also, these should be recommended and not required. I agree, that if they won't let you take the class without purchasing the equipment, you should go elswhere.

Damselfish:
Why complain about training all the time, then complain when places put more content in a course?
Well said, that was my thought also. It sounds like there may be some local regulations that require this "extra" gear, or possibly just the instructor giving a more comprehensive class than is required by PADI standards. I would suspect that if the OP asked their instructor about the purpose of the gear, ie. weather or not it will be taught and used in the course, they will get a decent answer that will put their mind at ease. And if there is a good reason for the requirement, I would be very surprised if they require you own it, as opposed to renting it.

edited for spelling : )

I'm not so sure that adding required pony bottles and reels isn't too complicated for the level of the average Deep Diver specialty class. I am sure it is teaching over standards and is a "no-no".

Are you sure you didn't sign up for the tech class?

Charlie59:
I'm not so sure that adding required pony bottles and reels isn't too complicated for the level of the average Deep Diver specialty class.
I'm not so sure that deep diving isn't too complicated for the level of the average Deep Diver specialty class.

Hmmm, now that is deep.

Back
Top Bottom