Padi Deep Dive Speciality Course - Looking for advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronniemu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be taken my Padi Deep Specialty course in the near future. When I inquired about this course, I was told I would need to purchase a pony bottle with regulator, wreck reel and a bracket to mount my pony bottle to my 80 Al. Can everyone offer their suggestion? What size pony bottle should I purchase? What kind of regulator should I buy without breaking the bank? Do you have any preference with a bracket for mounting the pony bottle? Any advice on deep diving would also be appreciated. Thanks for your input.

:10: Ronnie

Ronniemu:
Can everyone offer their suggestion? What size pony bottle should I purchase?
Spend the money on a dive trip instead.

Although redundancy is highly recommended for a deep dive none of the above are REQUIRED equipment for the course.

I'd have thought ANY decent dive shop if they wanted you to use that on a course would rent or give you the gear for the dives. If they demand it but dont, go elsewhere.

??? why would the dive shop want you to purchase a reel, and a pony bottle??? i understand there significance but there is no need for those instruments on just a padi deep diver course. all your really going to do is dive down to 90-100 feet or so and see if your susceptible to narcosis and where maybe you are susceptible so you know in the future. the instructor will prob have you right your name on a slate backwards or something at about 90 ft to see if ur mentally in the game. u would need those things if you were planning on penetrating a wreck at that depth, but i have just never heard of a dive shop requiring you to have a pony bottle. especially for any padi course. it can be a good thing to have but a necessity i dont think so. i would try some other dive shops.

This must be a requirement of the shop. Find another LDS. One that will rent you a pony setup. It's good to have but standards do not require it and if you are not familiar with the setup it could cause unnecessary task loading for your first set of deep dives. I also would rent a bigger tank like an al 100 or an lp 95 and get it pumped. You also do not need to buy a reel unless you plan on shooting a bag and if that's the case I hope you are doing it a few times in the pool first. Deep specialty does not require this as well. Sounds like the shop is trying to talk you into buying things you don't need right now. Yopu may later but for the time being they are not necessary expenses you need to incur.

i totally agree with jimlap. there is no need for any of those instruments on a padi deep diver course. all there going to do is bring you to 90-100 ft and see if where, where, when, and if you susceptible to narcosis. the instructor will have you write your name backwards or something to see if your mentally in the game. thats it. a pony bottle, reg and reel will set you back a few hundred un-necessary dollars. and like jimlap said un-necessary loading as well. ask around before commiting to dive with that lds. i think your being swindled into spending.

Island Hoppa:
i totally agree with jimlap. there is no need for any of those instruments on a padi deep diver course. all there going to do is bring you to 90-100 ft and see if where, where, when, and if you susceptible to narcosis. the instructor will have you write your name backwards or something to see if your mentally in the game. thats it. a pony bottle, reg and reel will set you back a few hundred un-necessary dollars. and like jimlap said un-necessary loading as well. ask around before commiting to dive with that lds. i think your being swindled into spending.
Yes...

Island Hoppa:
??? why would the dive shop want you to purchase a reel, and a pony bottle???
I can't imagine why they would want you to to do that. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom