PADI Beyond Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here I did loose you entirely.
Also I am a professor, at the University of Parma, Italy.
Teaching is not a business, it is a mission!
For me, it is really strange that an academic can endorse so enthusiastically the PADI commitment to hook divers, with the main goal of squeezing money from them.
Do you think that this is also the goal for universities?
Do they exist, since more than 1000 years, for the main purpose of squeezing money from our students?

In America, the answer is more likely than not to be YES.

So PADI is allowing this "5-star" certification to be floated as a trial balloon at one shop to see if there is any money in it . . . Yeah, that sounds like PADI. (MOD EDIT)

To be fair, I think PADI's marketing machine should be studied at B-schools. You have to give them credit that they are very effective at it. Value is another story.....

So PADI is allowing this "5-star" certification to be floated as a trial balloon at one shop to see if there is any money in it . . . Yeah, that sounds like PADI.

Yes, that's the case. If this model gains popularity, I guess PADI will officially announce it :) This is on more way for generating additional revenues with almost zero effort from its side.

So PADI is allowing this "5-star" certification to be floated as a trial balloon at one shop to see if there is any money in it . . . Yeah, that sounds like PADI. Mod Edit.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I let my 'active' DM cert go inactive almost 20 yrs ago, I saw the light long ago

:rofl3::rofl3:

Ain’t biting. I’m holding out for Shaolin Diver. And they teach us to strike that climactic pose from The Karate Kid when we giant stride in off a boat.

Shaolin Kung Fu and Karate Kid...

I'm far from a PADI lover because of their business model, but to be fair it really boils down to the instructor. My two PADI certs are OW and Rescue and in both I had phenomenal instructors and learned a great deal. Obviously there's probably some bias for my first, but my Advanced certification from another agency I learned some but really felt like I was missing out. The difference? An enthusiastic and eager instructor wanting to share vs. a lazy one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom