PADI? A necessity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Sparty:
Wow! You all really came through for me with the bootie issue so now I have one final question before I book my scuba class. I have the choice of 2 very good dive shops here at home. One of these shops is a PADI 5 star shop while the other is not. Should I go with a PADI shop? Why? The other, non-PADI shop is a very active shop with good equipment and their own pool for instructional classes. Let me know. I've looked at the PADI web site but am still not convinced that the other non-PADI shop is not up to 'snuff'. Again, thanks in advance.

Doc Sparty
Thinking that PADI is the only "good" certifying agency is like saying MacDonalds is the only "good" burger joint.

Being biggest doesn't mean that they are best or worst. It just means they have the best marketing machine. PADI is a good organization. But I can name at least 5 others that are equally good.

in_cavediver:
That said, any sane individual would seek competent instruction from a reputable agency for an activity that could kill you.
Ah, there's the rub. What's "competent" or "reputable?" I suspect that DIR would argue that none of the recreational agencies are either, and I suspect that many of the research, PDS, military and commercial folks would concur.

jopperdepopper:
You could also try a 'discover scuba diving' session (as PADI calls it, other agency may call it different) to not only check if you actually like diving (which of course you will :wink:) but also to get a bit closer to an instructor and actually 'do something' together... I agree that having an instructor you like/feel comfortable with goes a long way.

Some PADI training centers offer a discover scuba diving (or DSD) as being the first leg of your open water course as well (you may want to check this for the other agency)...

cheers!

Not the best idea with PADI. PADI's standards require the instructor NOT teach buoyancy control. PADI requires the instructor to add and dump air from the Discover SCUBA student's BC. That is extremely dangerous.

I feel finding the right instructor is more important than the certification agency he works with. There are some decent agencies out there that have BAD instructors, PADI included. However, I think as a whole PADI is generally a safe bet. They're a little bit more "old school" than some of the newer agencies out there, and when it comes to learning the basics, I think old school is best and safest.

For instance, SDI doesn't teach its students how to use Recreational Dive Planners since everyone uses computers nowadays. And while I admit it's true that most will probably never use a dive planner, I think it's irresponsible to not at least TEACH them how to use one. Because when your computer breaks (as all equipment will, over time) what will you do?

if you want "old school." go L.A. Cnty or a NAUI Instructor 9999 or below. PADI's hardly. "old school." Recreational Dive Planner is hardly "old school." there were (I believe) dive compters available before the RDP hit the street.

Thalassamania:
if you want "old school." go L.A. Cnty or a NAUI Instructor 9999 or below. PADI's hardly. "old school." Recreational Dive Planner is hardly "old school." there were (I believe) dive compters available before the RDP hit the street.

There will always be practices or devices more "old school" than you. And compared to some of the other agencies, PADI is more thorough; not ALL, just some.

Thalassamania:
Ah, there's the rub. What's "competent" or "reputable?" I suspect that DIR would argue that none of the recreational agencies are either, and I suspect that many of the research, PDS, military and commercial folks would concur.
DIR is one sure extreme, don't they have to get permission to move something from the right to the left.

wontbslow:
There will always be practices or devices more "old school" than you. And compared to some of the other agencies, PADI is more thorough; not ALL, just some.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

wontbslow:
Frankly the idea that there is someone less thorough I can hardly credit. Just because someone teaches “computer” only does not mean that they are less thorough, the computer section of my course occupies a bit over two full hours of lecture (that's 1/4 of a standard PADI course?)

pir8:
DIR is one sure extreme, don't they have to get permission to move something from the right to the left.
It’s not a question of getting permission, it’s a question of willingly joining a social contract that specifies which side certain things will be worn on, often because you realize that your alternative (the standard recreational community) just doesn’t cut it. I do not subscribe to that contract (DIR) and I find it a bit over the edge, but I respect it and understand its efficacy. I subscribe to a similar social contract that has a slightly larger tent and some different base premises. But if my only choice was PADI (or similar alphabet soup) or GUE … there would be no hesitation in my choosing GUE.

Thalassamania:
Just because someone teaches “computer” only does not mean that they are less thorough, the computer section of my course occupies a bit over two full hours of lecture (that's 1/4 of a standard PADI course?)

That's wonderful that you put so much time in your "computer" section. :)

And I never said that just because someone teaches computer only makes them less thorough; it was just an example. I have a DM friend who helped an open water SDI class, and she said the corners that were cut in this class were scary. I'd like to place full blame on the instructor, (the instructor was piss poor, and reckless at times) but after reading portions of the test questions they were given, I can't.

Again, you get out of it what you put in. So hopefully a student will speak up if they feel they aren't getting the information or instruction they need. It's all about being comfortable and safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom