PADI? A necessity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerman:
Theres a nice post here about a possible approach to finding a good shop/class/instructor
I was thinking of this post as I read the OP. Just glad I didn't have to to the search for it:D While I don't agree with some of Walters questions or reasoning behind them, I do think it is an excellent reference to work from when selecting an instructor or dive shop.

jbd:
I was thinking of this post as I read the OP. Just glad I didn't have to to the search for it:D While I don't agree with some of Walters questions or reasoning behind them, I do think it is an excellent reference to work from when selecting an instructor or dive shop.
Indeed. As with all online material, someone write it and you might not agree to ALL the things they write, but you can still use the parts you DO like..
If I had something like that to work from when I was looking for a class, I probably would still have ended up with the instructor I use :p
Personally I looked up a local dive club and asked them if/when/where there was gonna be courses and they sent me the right way..

Talk with your potential instructors. The agency can mean very little. All agencies have both good and poor instructors. The attitude of the instructor can mean a LOT. So can the size of your class. Find a humble instructor who likes small classes. I would suggest that they tend to do a better job than those who are egotistical who want the biggest classes possible.

In 1975 I certified with NASDS. My card broke all apart. They do not exist anymore. I recertified with PADI because I could not get a replacement card. This only means I recommend using the big name as they will always be around should you need a replacement card. Good luck

If the plastic is all you are worried about... have one printed up. The education is what is important. Rather than worry about how long the agency will be around, you should worry that your dive education is second to none. The instructor makes all the difference in the world.

Netdoc: The education IS the most important part, which as we all know, comes from a good instructor. I know you're kidding around about 'having a card printed up'.

The card someone shows represents that they have demonstrated knowledge and skills (at least once). When the shop is renting the gear or booking them on the boat, the diver having a valid card is also about assigning diver responsibility and limiting liability for the shop, along with the waiver form and rental agreement.

As far as PADI vs other schools, it's been said a million times that instructor makes all the difference. That being said, I've found convenience in having a PADI card. Because they are the largest, they are recognized around the world anywhere you want to dive.

I've seen people turned down for getting on a boat because the shop couldn't verify the training agency. However, this is not likely to happen with any of the major agencies.

CrackedConch:
I've seen people turned down for getting on a boat because the shop couldn't verify the training agency. However, this is not likely to happen with any of the major agencies.
I'm sure that it has happened, but I've never seen it and I often offer up a paper university reaseach diver card and have never had it refused, but that might not be the case if I was 20ish with brand new, misrigged gear.

You will get lots of opinions about the various dive agencies. They are all good and follow a common core of requirements. I have trained with several, and the the best advice would be to follow your instincts for shop (and agency) selection based on the people and Instructor you will be dealing with. Originally I had intended to stay with one agency when I was originally certified, but things didn't work out that way.

Best of luck to you.

You won't find a more conscientious and professional dive shop owner than Cindy Caldwell at Harry's Dive Shop in Metarie. Her primary cert agency is NAUI. Being an instructor myself I can appreciate the quality of their program by watching at Vortex and in Panama City. Just ask any of the crewmembers on PC dive boats what they think of Cindy and their answer will be a resounding "She's cool!"

What you need to do though is shop around and go with what feels best and what is more convenient for you. Drop in the shop several times and see how you are treated. Choose the one that suits your needs.

NASDS is not around as a name but the agency merged with SSI. The NASDS office in Memphis had a fire at one time and records prior to that date were destroyed. Otherwise, contact HQ SSI and ask about replacing your NASDS card.

427Dave:
In 1975 I certified with NASDS. My card broke all apart. They do not exist anymore. I recertified with PADI because I could not get a replacement card. This only means I recommend using the big name as they will always be around should you need a replacement card. Good luck​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom