Packing regulator for travel, How?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check the link in post #8 on this thread . . .

Be aware these rules are not set in stone - so checking on-line for changes and printing fresh copies if needed before we finish packing is part of my routine.

I'm actually more concerned about delayed or missing checked baggae than I am on theft from checked baggae. My spare / backup reg set rides in the checked baggae, swaddled in my shorty wetsuit and full wetsuit.

This way, my primary set and dive computers are sure to ride on the same plane I do - even when it's the small jets (50 to 70 passenger) or inter-island puddle jumpers (WinAir, Island Air, etc.) where you must gate-check your carryon and are only allowed to take your 'personal item' into the cabin. This is where sound padding of your stuff can really pay off.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=115175

I check everything, including my reg.

You probably have more chance of a problem using rented tanks than with something happening to your reg. And, don't kid yourself, carrying things on a plane does not protect them more than checking them.

There may be a bit more chance of something becoming temporarily lost, but the chances of theft these days is pretty minimal. Not to mention, used SCUBA gear is pretty much worthless on the black market.

If you want to carry on, just wrap them in a couple of towels and put them in a gym bag.

Jeff

(more than a million miles in the air...most of them good.)

I carry on my regulators and my dive computer/gauge, in a nice padded reg bag I got from an LDS somewhere. That's the stuff I wouldn't want to be without if the rest of my gear went AWOL. If you travel enough then you can bet it will eventually happen (but I agree that it will eventually find its way back to you -- as long as it didn't go missing in MIA, never was there was a more appropriate airport abbreviation but thats a different thread!).

The only problem I have with TSA at my home airport is that every time I go through the terminal security checkpoint they always want to know what's in that bag, and after I tell them its scuba gear, they double check that I don't have any "oxygen bottles" with me. :06: Every freakin' time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom