Package VS buying separate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackvans1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello scuba world, another new diver here, After some consideration, I feel as though I'm at an impass when trying to decide whether or not to buy some sort of scuba package VS Separate gear.
For example:
IST Imperial Weight Integrated BCD Scuba Gear Package: at JoeDiverAmerica.com

What is your opinion regarding buying a package such as this vs each piece separate?
(I don't have loads of money, so It's not necessary to buy every piece separate, hence the 500 dollar package, not the 1000 dollar package)

Any input is appreciated
Thank you!

I don't know anything about the package you listed but I am a recently certified diver. I set up my own "package" of what I wanted through my LDS and they gave me a package price on it. They offer package deals to students. It ended up being slightly cheaper than if I had bought them all separately online. I have found that in all of my expensive hobbies that I have if I cheap out I always end up re-buying stuff for better quality. Just something to think about.

On packages in general: they give a retailer extra incentive to cut prices for you, and perhaps more leeway to do so as well. It seems to me that retailers often use them as a way to induce you to buy some gear you don't want, along with the gear you do. They also seem to include, often, items that are difficult to price independently, making it more difficult to do a proper price comparison. I suggest that you make your own package, including only the gear that you want, price it at leisurepro.com, and shop it around to a few retailers, online and otherwise.

You will certainly save money with a package--30-40%. I put together a package from different manufacturers (Seaquest, Aqualung, Oceanic) at one dive shop, then took the quote to the shop nearest my home. They swapped an Apeks regulator for the Aqualung reg, keeping the other items the same and met the price of the first dive shop. Plus, I paid cash. Total discount was about 35% compared to purchasing each item separately. I just purchase a package from ScubaToys for my daughter. Also a great deal. Moreover, when they determined that the Oceanic Veo 2.0 computer for which they gave me a price quote was not in stock, they voluntarily upgraded the computer to the Veo 3.0. In my experience with ScubaToys on this package and with previous purchases, they will work with you to meet your needs.

prebuilt packages are normally to the benefit of the seller not the buyer. If your going to buy everything, call the shop, both LDS (both in your town and within reasonable driving distance) and online, tell them what your want and nearly all of them will will give you a discount, don't be afraid to shop around and price match, if you do your homework it will work out for you. While I am sure you have a budget, remember that you will likely own this gear for many many years, don't sacrifice your desires to save a couple of bucks and meet the budget. Comfort is the key thing in diving and having gear you don't like will not be to your long time diving enjoyment.

I bought me a back plate and wing. I could of bought a package with the exact setup I wanted and saved maybe $30.00. Everyone told me to get the package and save. But I did not really have the money to run out and spend it. So I bought a piece at a time until I bought everything needed. I could of saved $30.00 overall but it was worth it to me and my wallet to just get a little along.

What is your opinion regarding buying a package such as this vs each piece separate? (I don't have loads of money, so It's not necessary to buy every piece separate, hence the 500 dollar package, not the 1000 dollar package)
Generally, I encourage divers to avoid packages when purchasing gear, because you seldom get pieces of equipment that are long term 'keepers'. However, as a first time purchase, to allow you to dive more frequently within recreational limits, and find out if diving is really for you, and gain some important experience, the package you identified is a pretty good deal. Essentially, $450 for a new BCD, and a new regulator, and a new 2-gauge console, which is not too bad. Yes, the package includes a (no-name) jacket BCD. Yes, it is a weight-integrated unit. Yes, the regulator probably isn't going to be the best for diving at 115' in 48 degree water. And, if it was for an experienced diver looking to do some deeper dives in the Great Lakes, for example, the unit might not be appealing. But, as a starting point for a new diver, IF you are in a position to dive with some frequency, to both see if diving is really for you and to put some 'newbie' wear and tear on your gear, after which you may be able to move on to the next level of equipment, this appears to be a decent package. If you ultimately decide that diving isn't all that appealing, what have you really lost? If the gear wears out in a couple of years, what have you really lost? You will have better insight into what you like and don't like in a scuba rig, perhaps you will have a little more money to take you to the next step in equipment, and will have logged some good diving experience. Go for it.

The only package is the one that gets you in the water Now.

All the rest is all jest, holus bolus

I would not buy anything from that package. You're throwing your money away. They're selling it at discount because they can't get rid of it.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom