Pacific Trash Vortex! Wow! I had no idea it was this bad!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of the hard core club member of North Coast Divers spent the weekend camping on the remote Sonoma Coast of Northern California. Here we have no cell service :shocked2: few people, mountain lions, and great white sharks. It is one my favorite places to scuba dive. The storms of late have been BIG with massive swells and really high tides. Our beaches that had remained much the same for years, were altered this year. Below you will see the pictures that tell the story with some captions above them.

We started our trek from Fort Ross. The goal was to hike to Reef campground/beach.
attachment.php

You can see how beautiful our coast here is.
attachment.php

After hiking for awhile we came to Reef Beach. This is a state park and closed due to California's budget cuts. The only way in is to hike.
attachment.php

Here Don is picking up garbage, with Odie on the right, who has the blue bag, and Erik in the back ground. Odie scores major points for bringing bags to put the plastic garbage in.
attachment.php

We ran around for only a short time collecting garbage and didn't even get 1/8 of what was on the beach. Since there was no where to dump the garbage we had to pack it all the way back out and could not carry much more. I talked to the park ranger and he said he would let us get a pickup truck into the gates if we wanted to perform another cleanup at a later time.
attachment.php

I pulled a few common items to show that this is stuff all of us use and discard on a daily basis. We may be good ourselves about throwing stuff away, but what about our friends and other people? Do they know about the issues that we humans are creating? Lets work towards educating everyone we can and try to slow this destruction of the earth down. It starts by picking up other peoples garbage one piece at a time. I call it my good deed for the day!
attachment.php

Attachments

• NCD crew.jpg
    NCD crew.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 504
  • Fort Ross Beach.jpg
    Fort Ross Beach.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 452
  • Reef Beach.jpg
    Reef Beach.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 1,037
  • Don with garbage.jpg
    Don with garbage.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 472
  • Garbage.jpg
    Garbage.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 783
  • Garbage 2.jpg
    Garbage 2.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 433
Thank you Doug for bringing this information forward. I have talked with Rich Owen a number of times regarding this incredible situation. He is working diligently to bring government and the private sector together to deal with it.
Food for thought...I imagine that it would not take much of a change in the natural current systems to bring this gyre right to our Hawaiian shores...

Again, thank you Doug,

Teri

I have just sent a message to Rich Owen requesting that he either suggest a speaker or send me the appropriate materials and I will give a short presentation on this subject at the South Maui Sustainability monthly community meeting on April 8th. This event is Earth Day-based and I see this as an opportunity to bring this information to our community.

Thank you again Doug,
Teri

Thank you Doug for bringing this information forward. I have talked with Rich Owen a number of times regarding this incredible situation. He is working diligently to bring government and the private sector together to deal with it.
Food for thought...I imagine that it would not take much of a change in the natural current systems to bring this gyre right to our Hawaiian shores...

Again, thank you Doug,

Teri

Teri,
Its already on our shores (Kamilo bch, South Point on BI & Kahuku bch on Oahu)
I just gave a tour to a guy who is studying the possibilities of using the plastic as a raw material for products. He collected about 30 lbs of assorted plastic and is now analyzing the effects of sun degradation on the various polymers regarding the reprocessing of the plastic. Imagine if the debris washing up on shore or pulled from the ocean could be a raw material supply source.
Keep up the good work and conversation everyone!
ScubaDrew

$.10 tax on every PLASTIC item created and sold from credit cards to barbie dolls. Then a controlled watch dog service to make sure every penny is used to haul this crap out. Take it to plastics manufacturers and tell them hey, you made it recycle it. we can start right here.

$.10 tax on every PLASTIC item created and sold from credit cards to barbie dolls. Then a controlled watch dog service to make sure every penny is used to haul this crap out. Take it to plastics manufacturers and tell them hey, you made it recycle it. we can start right here.

Great idea, but a little over the top to be put into motion. Now if they at least started charging $.10 for every plastic grocery bag, the word would get out quick that plastic is evil. Then again shows like Letterman, and Oprah, bringing the plastic dilemma to light helps a lot.

Great idea, but a little over the top to be put into motion. Now if they at least started charging $.10 for every plastic grocery bag, the word would get out quick that plastic is evil. Then again shows like Letterman, and Oprah, bringing the plastic dilemma to light helps a lot.

In a good portion of Ontario (if not Canada) we are already paying $0.05 for each platic bag we choose to take. I for one do not believe for a second that those funds are going where they should though. JMO.

This is a great thread. I had no idea of how serious this problem is. thank you all who contributed. I am going to forward this to all my friends and set up some links to this thread. I stumbled across this while planning a trip to Maui looking for dive operators for shore dives and boat dives. Funny I always pick up trash when diving or hiking just now see how futile in the scheme of things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom