Pacific Trash Vortex! Wow! I had no idea it was this bad!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm glad you're happy with it Drew. It looked and sounded good, you looked like you knew what you were talking about and there was some good supportive graphics and images. I just thought he appeared unprepared and used unusual terms and analogies in his commentary. That's just me...(don't mind me, I'm just jacked on the juice!)

So, do you have a counter for your blog? Have you noticed increased traffic from the CNN thing or the SB banner ad? I'm sure you will keep the blog alive and the donation box open while you're sailing so people will be able to contribute even after you depart.

By the way, who did your hair? :D

I am really hoping that Kirsten (web girl) or Jamie (wife) will keep the blog current.
My blog is located here...
Journey to the Center of the Trash Blog
Hopefully those posts will appear automatically on Facebook too.

..and I did my hair...u like??? it was 6 am when I got ready...you know how we instructors all look at that time of the day.

Sort a sad commentary of this, but one of the first times I have heard of the gyre outside the forums (I don't doubt they exist in the slightest, only stating this is one of the few places you can actually hear about them).

This CNN article on the recent Air France plane that is missing talks about the gyres and how they complicate searches like this. They seem to talk about it like it is such common knowledge, but they never seem to run any decent stories on it so the word gets out. That old "if it doesn't bring ratings and it it isn't sensational then it isn't news" line.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/06/05/marine.debris.crash/index.html

Last edited:
This is kind of urgent...Just saw on KITV 4 news here in Hawaii about Dr. Anthony Andrady, expert on ocean trash. It was a story by Dick Algire. Tomorrow is World Oceans Day and there is a talk at the HI State Capitol about Plastic Pollution in the Pacific Ocean. They said it would be held Monday evening but didn't specify the time or the place ion the story.

In the report they showed that the searchers for the recent Air France plane crash found lots of unrelated trash in the Atlantic Ocean too. Hmmm...go figure!

Drew, did you hear about this talk? Check out the story on the news tonight. If you're on Oahu and want to hear from an expert this would be a great opportunity. I'm sure Dr. Andrady would be delighted to meet you and hear about your mission.

EDIT: Here is a link to the news clip from YouTube:

KITV4 Plastic Pollution Story 6-7-09

I didn't even know tomorrow (June 8) is called World Ocean Day so I Googled it. Here's what I found out:
_________________________________________________________________________________

The United Nations (UN) had officially declared June 8 each year as World Oceans Day (WOD). The concept for a WOD was proposed by the Government of Canada in 1992 at the Earth Summit held in Rio de Janeiro. Since then it has been celebrated annually.

The theme of 2009 WOD is "One Ocean, One Climate, One Future" to emphasize that we live on a blue planet where 70 percent of the surface is covered by ocean waters, and to raise public awareness of the key connections among a healthy ocean, a healthy climate, and our future. Regardless of where we live, we are dependent on the state of health of our shared bodies of water.

I don't think I've seen any talk of World Oceans Day here on SB. Have you? Looks like I have a subject for a new post!!

Last edited:
Bon Voyage!

As much as I do not want you guys to find garbage, I do hope you can bring home evidence of our earths habitat destruction, so we can start working more on prevention.

there is a video on the subject. just cant remember where i saw it either on cable or on netflix. if you google pacific trash vortex you will get plenty of vid on the subject encluding several trips that are being planned by different groups in june and july. I wonder how many boats are going to be out there at the same time. hopefully after this they can all work together for greater impact and effect.

Just a quick update....Drew posted some comments on his Facebook page as he got underway. If you're not on FB yet, what are you waiting for? All the cool kids are doing it! There's a Pacific Trash Vortex page there as well and the membership is growing steadily.

In related news, my Shaka Divers Reusable Shopping bags came in this week. They make great giveaways and promo items for your business. Get some made for your shop today! I can tell you where I got mine done if you PM me.

In related news, my Shaka Divers Reusable Shopping bags came in this week. They make great giveaways and promo items for your business. Get some made for your shop today! I can tell you where I got mine done if you PM me.

And please remember to reuse them!!!!

Back
Top Bottom