Pacific Northwest Divers, add your favorite dive spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know this is an old thread, for posting here I apologise. I am getting back into diving after 4 years (Nitrox, Adv OW, drysuit) I have a boat in Bellingham, and would shore dive around there too. Any suggestions? I also would like to read in advance- any good guidebooks out there? Sorry for the newb to the area questions, I know how tiresome they can be.

Hi Newt!

I dive most of the times on Whidbey and Fidalgo Islands. My favourites dive sites are: Keystone Jetty and Pilings (next to the Keystone, re-named Coupeville, ferry terminal). It is a marine park so no fishing is allowed and there is plenty to see; Possession Beach Waterfront Park is a site to see orange sea pens and you can get deep pretty quickly, Possession Point Fingers is a steep clay wall with ledges and small caverns, a lot of folks dive there from a boat but you can do it from shore too but you have to walk down a hill to reach the beach, Langley Tire Reef is a shallow dive right next to Langley Marina, you can almost dive there any time because it is sheltered from the prevailing SSE and WNW winds and it is not current sensitive (I did my check out dives there when I was an OW student).

The dive shops in Anacortes and Oak Harbor sell a little booklet about local dives titled:

The Whidbey Island Dive Guide

Other books that I use to find dive sites outside my local area are:

Northewest Shore Dives by Stephen Fischnaller

and

151 Dives in the protected waters of British Columbia and Washington State by Betty Pratt-Johnson

The magazine Northwest Dive News publishes articles about local dives too:

Dive News Network

I hope that helps.

You can always give me a shout if you want to do a shore dive in my area.

Cheers

Thanks for the warm welcome Soaked. i will check out those books, and if I look like I am going to Whidbey- give you a PM. I would love to dive with someone who knows the area.

Scenic Beach in Seabeck always has awesome vis, sunny-side beack in steilacoom is pretty cool for shallower dives

It's been a long while since I posted on this forum, but I have a change to one of the locations I posted about earlier "Owens Beach" in Point Defiance park should not be attempted unless the tides are perfect. My girlfriend and I decided to go out there for a quick dive one morning and didn't check the tides for that particular location. Once we got to about 40ft we started getting ripped towards the Narrows and down deeper. We had to dig in with our tools to keep from getting shoved any farther down the drop off. We ended up inflating our BCDs and shooting up to get out of that current. It was much easier to surface swim to the beach than trying to fight the current on the bottom. It might have been fun if we were set up for a drift, but we weren't and we were both spooked.

Deception Pass!!!

Wow -- fun to have this thread revived.

Lots of things have changed since it was started. We now really have only one charter in the San Juan's, LuJac's Quest; Bandito sends their smaller boat up there occasionally, but not often, and the Naknek is gone. Porthole Charters is also gone, but the Aluminator boat does central Sound charters nowadays.

To my list of great Puget Sound dive sites, I've added Point Hudson up in Port Townsend, which is kind of like Keystone jetty, but I think even better for color and density of life (and Cockerel's dorids!). Flagpole, out in Hood Canal, is an outrageous dive, but parking's a little complicated and the schlep to the water is non-trivial. In addition, it's a long surface swim to the buoy, unless you have a scooter. Still, people do it, and the dive is great, as is Jorsted Creek, which is also an adventure in gear moving.

Yes, that's one of my favorite areas, too. I love to bring a coleman stove and a big pot down to the beach and steam the crabs there. Talk about fresh crab!!

---------- Post added January 6th, 2013 at 09:55 AM ----------

I live about an hour away and would love to do this dive with you. I have my tanks full at all times. let me know if you ever need a buddy. John jlayman800@hotmail.com

Prince William Sound with alaskasharks.com

[video=vimeo;143517078]https://vimeo.com/143517078[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom