P- Valve vs relief zipper vs depends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't actually understand pee valves. On dry land, I understand how they drain. But against the pressure at depth? Is there some degree to which it's hard to push pee out, or is the pressure pushing on the bladder also and somehow equalizing things, or what? And who tested this for the first time?

I don't actually understand pee valves. On dry land, I understand how they drain. But against the pressure at depth? Is there some degree to which it's hard to push pee out, or is the pressure pushing on the bladder also and somehow equalizing things, or what? And who tested this for the first time?
I don't know, but when ya gotta go, ya gotta go. I've only been down to 7 atmospheres of pressure. I think on the way backup I didn't face issues of maybe 6 give or take ATA.

Liquids are not compressible. Your blader is at same pressure as surroundings.
First tester? The first one to let it rip while in water. Remember, even as short as it is, your junk is still a tube.

I can confirm that Seaskin ships the newer revision of the Trigon. I went through all this last year and Si tech was very helpful in confirming it was newer after I had leaks and thought maybe it was the older version.

My issue was me (usually is).. I wasn't doing enough maintenance.

Wait, there is maintenance?

I actually had a leak start between the brass nipple and the hose. I wasn't flushing enough and some type of hardened deposits were growing between the 2. I had to soak the brass in vinegar and clean out the rest of the valve.. cut some hose off so I had a fresh piece.

100% my fault. I would flush if I remembered too.. so not often enough:(

I see from posts that a lot of you use p-valves. I also see a lot of people have leaking issues. My experience is limited to depends. P-valve and depends allow relief underwater. Zipper provides easy access but not in the water.

My experience tells me that if I take a good pee before donning, if I get the urge during the dive it is very little (not a flood). I’m leaning toward relief zipper and depends.

I have chatted with a few who went back to depends after P-valve leaks and failures. Where does everyone stand on this?
Use both.

They’re completely different things.

The pee valve means you can plumb in and pee as if it’s an Olympic sport. There is nothing more uncomfortable — and dangerous — than needing a pee especially when you have that urge at an inconvenient time. It is essential for longer dives. Also essential for anyone of a certain age where a weak bladder is the norm.

Aside from ‘convenience' it also means you don’t jump in dehydrated, another common problem with diving.

The fly zip is great when the drysuit is hung up and you can pull out the pee valve hose for cleaning.

I went with the Light Monkey unbalanced and no relief zip. If the p valve works then the zip seems like another failure point. The p valve will just take some getting used to. Not to old to learn new tricks though.

A truth about the fly zip…. On a pair of trousers the fly zip is vertical and central. Easy to operate as the zip or buttons are lightweight as well as the material. In use you can reach in and rummage around to move the underpants out of the way, etc.

On a drysuit the zip is horizontal, the zip stiff and the material doesn’t flex. You’re probably wearing substantial underwear with no 'Y' front and there’s little room to rummage around in what is effectively a small tight slot; similarly you can't reach up for the waist of your undertrousers, pull this down and grab the old chap as it were, let alone put it all back into place afterwards.

In all the time I’ve had a fly zip in a drysuit I’ve never used it for a pee — it’s far easier to undo the suit.

My only use for the fly zip is to provide access to the pee valve hose without unzipping the whole suit, e.g. get access to the quick disconnect barb/valve. Particularly useful for cleaning the pipe without unzipping the suit and getting water inside.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom