Oxygen poisoning seizure > how to react ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's go back to your original statement...

Ha!
Based on the paper, I would say that when talking about professional military divers who are diving with other professional military divers, then I would agree with you about surviving a seizure underwater on a technical dive.

In any other situation, I stick with my original statement. And there is no proof that says otherwise.

Ha!
Based on the paper, I would say that when talking about professional military divers who are diving with other professional military divers, then I would agree with you about surviving a seizure underwater on a technical dive.

In any other situation, I stick with my original statement. And there is no proof that says otherwise.
There isn't proof that there are no fairies at the bottom of your garden either, but most sensible people would deduce that its highly likely they aren't there. Similarly, you are never going to have "proof" that a properly designed mouthpiece retainer helps protect the airway in unconscious humans underwater, but we do have an extremely compelling observational study that most sensible people would deduce points to that likelihood.

Having claimed the good outcomes in the French study were down to the buddy system and having had it pointed out that technical divers are quite capable of running a buddy system, your latest gambit is to attribute the good outcomes in that study to 'professional military diver' expertise. In doing so you still fail to understand that irrespective of the buddy system and level of diving skill, we would not expect 51 survivors out of 54 loss of consciousness events underwater (or 23 survivors out of 26 underwater seizures if you insist). The two events I saw as a military DMO to a special forces dive team both drowned. Moreover, your implied assumption that military diver buddies would be better than technical divers at rescuing each other is tenuous at best. The truth is that many military divers, though highly disciplined and extremely fit, are actually quite inexperienced and less skilled compared to most technical divers (ask yourself who rescued the boys in Thailand?). Having spent a lot of time around military diving I do not share your confidence that the good outcomes in the French study are explained by the type of divers, and neither do the military authors of the debated study, or Paul Haynes, an ex-British special forces diver who wrote the other article I posted for you.

Simon M

Wil gag straps work on open circuit? Will OC divers put gag straps on all their regs and use them?

I just used the gag strap that I just ordered. I have it fairly snug on my head towards the top of the back of my head under my mask strap.

If I had to bailout, should I push my loop over my head or pull it down under my chin?

Oc technical diving requires gas switching. That’s a challenge with a strap.
Agreed. I think gag straps are a much less practical safety intervention for open circuit diving with multiple gas switches via multiple regulators. The main advocacy for their use is in rebreather diving where there is arguably a higher risk of becoming unconscious and where there are no mouthpiece removals on a typical dive.

wetb4igetinthewater:
If I had to bailout, should I push my loop over my head or pull it down under my chin?

There are lots of opinions on this, but mine is as follows.

I would not have the gag strap under your mask strap. You are very unlikely to want to remove your mask, but you may want to remove the mouthpiece - so its strap should be on top. As to where to put the mouthpiece after removal, either will work though if the mouthpiece strap is under your mask strap, pulling the loop over your head may risk dislodging your mask (hence another argument against that arrangement). I have practiced both strategies (under the chin and over the head) and both work.

Simon

Oc technical diving requires gas switching. That’s a challenge with a strap.
I believe the OP is talking about open circuit and the accidental use of a rich O2 mix .

But why is it that when a diver loses consciousness they become negative and drop? If someone doesn’t see them at that moment they’re gone. That’s the real problem.

I would not have the gag strap under your mask strap. You are very unlikely to want to remove your mask, but you may want to remove the mouthpiece - so its strap should be on top. As to where to put the mouthpiece after removal, either will work though if the mouthpiece strap is under your mask strap, pulling the loop over your head may risk dislodging your mask (hence another argument against that arrangement). I have practiced both strategies (under the chin and over the head) and both work.
If you put the mask strap under your hood the gag strap would be clear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom