Oxygen cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble Boy

Reaction score
I went to a local gas supply company to get a Jumbo D filled with Oxygen. They refused to fill it as it had a green collar. I live in Canada. The company advised me that they only fill cylinders with a white collar as that is the standard for medical oxygen for the entire world except for the United States. Is this true?

Yes - white collar (optional black body) is unversal elsewhere (white collar or band on green background is used in the US for Medical or Aviation grade O2). Outside of the US dark green is used for Argon, brown for helium.

The safest way is to look at the label - I'm a UK research chemist and occasionally work in US labs - confuses the hell out of me...

Duncan

if they have the "TC" stamp on them, then they are transport canada approved, just paint the tops white

Painting them is the solution that was recommended. It just seems a shame to paint the brand new cylinder that were just shipped from DAN in the new kit I just picked up. I think I should send them an e-mail suggesting that they ship white collared ones when they are leaving the states.

Go elsewhere.

There are plenty of places around that will do aviation grade O2 fills without playing games about what colour the bloody cylinder is!

As long as the cylinder has been properly prepared to handle O2 (proper O rings, etc.) and is in hydro, there is no reason why they should not fill it.

~SubMariner~

And a good thing too.

It is interesting to note though that in the eyes of the law, putting non-medical O2 in a medical O2 tank is, at least in the USA, "unlicensed manufacture of a prescription drug"! The rational being that the plain old garden variety O2 becomes a prescription drug at the instant it enters the medically-marked tank, so that whoever is transfilling it becomes a "manufacturer".

Not of course that there's any way to ever tell once the dirty deed has been done. However its probably a good idea not to boast about it, especially to the next of kin should one ever have to administer it in a genuine emergency.

SubMariner once bubbled...
Go elsewhere.

There are plenty of places around that will do aviation grade O2 fills without playing games about what colour the bloody cylinder is!~SubMariner~

Back
Top Bottom