Oxygen compatibility, materials and explosions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was the guy in Texas(?) whose deco bottle blew his truck up.

Not bottle or compressor related, there was also the Irish diver who flashed his suit inflation gas using a heater pack to stay warm in his drysuit on a tech dive... oxygen needs some respect, it can turn on you unexpectedly if not kept in check

Well if this tread is anything to go by the amount of BS attached to the use of oxygen is mind boggling. “This happened to that guy and something else happened to another guy” not a single verifiably report.

Even if it is not as dramatic as an explotin, ther are other risks.

If you partial fill and have a tank that is not completly clean, with small amounts of oil or other fuel, if you get an combustion in the tank when you fill with pure oxygen, before you top up with air, then you have combustion fumes in you tank, and that can be bad to breath.

Well if this tread is anything to go by the amount of BS attached to the use of oxygen is mind boggling. “This happened to that guy and something else happened to another guy” not a single verifiably report.
You're a little hard headed. Is that an Irish thing or just you....

http://www.metronews.fr/marseille/u...-sur-un-bateau-de-plongee/modl!GYAVVIH4sPa62/
Iraq War Vet Dies in Unlikely Scuba Explosion
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/another-scuba-tank-explosion-resulting-severe-injuries-natasha-naude/
Dive shop damaged after oxygen tank explodes
Oxygen Cylinders: “life” or “death”?
Scuba Tanks as Lethal Weapons: Undercurrent 02/2011
ValuJet Flight 592 - Wikipedia

Want me to keep going with O2 caused accidents from poor handling? I can do this all day.

There are others that you don't hear about. A friend of mine was injured pumping 32% in his garage when his compressor blew. He didn't want it publicly known that it happened.

There are others that you don't hear about. A friend of mine was injured pumping 32% in his garage when his compressor blew. He didn't want it publicly known that it happened.
I personally blew up not one, but 2 air compressors pumping 32%, and our partner boat blew up another. We never hid it, nor did we make a big deal out of it. We just repaired the compressors, moved on, and made more 32 and 36%. When one of mine let go, had anyone been in the room when the purification chamber, rated at 6,000 PSI exploded, there is no doubt in my mind they would have died. The 141 ton vessel moved significantly when the explosion happened. The dents in the 3/8" aluminum were significant, as were the scorch marks.

I personally blew up not one, but 2 air compressors pumping 32%, and our partner boat blew up another. We never hid it, nor did we make a big deal out of it. We just repaired the compressors, moved on, and made more 32 and 36%. When one of mine let go, had anyone been in the room when the purification chamber, rated at 6,000 PSI exploded, there is no doubt in my mind they would have died. The 141 ton vessel moved significantly when the explosion happened. The dents in the 3/8" aluminum were significant, as were the scorch marks.
Do you think they were actually pumping 32%, or did some pure O2 sneak in?

I'm puzzled, unless you're calling the people posting outright liars, I'm seeing first hand accounts on this thread. Reference my own minor encounters upthread.

Is there some other way you'd like it verified perhaps? I can't imagine there's a oxygen handling conspiracy, what would we gain by sharing our near misses regarding oxygen handling mishaps?

Cameron

Back
Top Bottom