• Oxycheq Mach V Signature 40lbs

Votes: 28 50.9%
  • Golem Gear Ring Wing 35lbs

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • DSS Taurus 35

Votes: 22 40.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why does it matter where the weight is located? His overall buoyancy doesn't change depending on where the weight is located. That's kind of like saying you're heavier on a scale if you put a 5lb weight in your pocket than if you hold it in your hand.
If it is all on your rig, you will need a bigger wing to insure that the rig will float when it is off. You also want to balance your rig and yourself without a rig in case you have to remove it.

but it seems to me that the primary purpose of the wing is to get ME to the surface.

The primary purpose of a Buoyancy Compensator is to allow you to maintain neutral buoyancy.

It is not a elevator to the surface.

If you are properly weighted you should be able to swim your rig up, particularly a singles rig.

If you are properly weighted you should be able to stay at the surface with a failed BC.

Tobin

Solving the over weighting problem is the answer, not a bigger wing.

Larger wings should not be used to "cure" an overweighted diver.

Over weight a diver, add a larger wing, and what happens if there is a problem with the wing? The diver is in more trouble than if he was properly weighted to begin with.

Tobin

I will stick with what I said, if you read what I said you will see that I was comparing my being somewhat overweighted (due to a last moment tank change that would have involved a long walk through the bush and over hill and dale in 100 degree temps to correct) to using a more negative/larger steel tank. That is if he were to dive a larger steel cylinder that was even more negative than my little LP 85 he could quickly wind up with marginal lift, total required ballast (for his exposure suit) is the same, more negative tank, less weight on the belt, but that heavy steel tank is not normally ditchable. It is a balancing act in the end and I certainly agree that solving weighting issues is paramount of importance, I also still think and I will stay with what I said, given the OPs indicated useage a 40 is slightly more appropriate and versatile for his particular use, your opinion may vary, that is mine.

I don't know and don't care exactly how the Mach V 40 compares with the "other" brand. I do know it has more lift than my Mach V 30 and yet retains a very compact footprint for larger single tank diving where heavier exposure protection for cold water and greater equipment loads are often encountered. I also like the heavy bladder construction and off centered hose.

There are lot's of good products out there, the OP will have to take the given advice from various sources and make a decsion as filtered through his lens.

N

I usually weight myself such that I might require a small amount of air introduced into my wing at the beginning of the dive to maintain a neutral condition. By the end of the dive I have the wing virtually sucked flat as the tank becomes more emtpy and therefore bouyant. I am able to hold my stops, once I reach the surface I normally have plenty of lift to relax and bob around without fully inflating my wing/BC. If my wing were to fail, I am fine because I am essentially neutral, I can if need be drop my belt and then I am positive. Others may do it different, that is how I do it, it works regardless of my equipment configuration, it is the goal I rig for even if sometimes I fail to get it exactly right. Heavier and larger capacity tanks and other equipment including the type exposure protection can increase the potential bouyancy swing over the duration of the dive, your rig will have to take that into account so that you begin and end your dive with sufficient bouyancy control and lift. Your methods may vary. N

What if you want to put your gear on in the water?

Tobin

I've never been in a situation where I've wanted to put my gear on in the water. In fact I'm having a hard time thinking of a situation where I might want to do that. I'm sure such situations exist, I just don't think I'll be in them. Probably a more likely scenario is taking it off at the surface in case of an emergency. It would be nice to not end up losing your rig.

The primary purpose of a Buoyancy Compensator is to allow you to maintain neutral buoyancy.

It is not a elevator to the surface.

If you are properly weighted you should be able to swim your rig up, particularly a singles rig.

If you are properly weighted you should be able to stay at the surface with a failed BC.

Tobin

I didn't mean to imply that it was an elevator. But what if you are injured, and unable to swim to the surface? You can either ditch weight, or inflate your BC. Since I can't unditch the weight, the best way seems to be inflating your BC, since you can let the air out again to prevent an uncontrolled ascent.

I've never been in a situation where I've wanted to put my gear on in the water. In fact I'm having a hard time thinking of a situation where I might want to do that. I'm sure such situations exist, I just don't think I'll be in them. Probably a more likely scenario is taking it off at the surface in case of an emergency. It would be nice to not end up losing your rig.

I didn't mean to imply that it was an elevator. But what if you are injured, and unable to swim to the surface? You can either ditch weight, or inflate your BC. Since I can't unditch the weight, the best way seems to be inflating your BC, since you can let the air out again to prevent an uncontrolled ascent.

Doff and don is a basic skill, any equipment you have should not preclude performing that skill. It is not unusual to put your gear on in the water from a tag line when diving from small boats, as well, removing it at the end of dive and clipping it back to the tag line is common.

Most divers consider ditchable weight important, you may not, I do and I suspect the other person does as well.

N

I remember performing the skills during my OW dives, but have never had to use them.

I agree that ditchable weight is important, but would consider it as a last resort while at depth. Ditching X lbs of weight, and you permanently become X lbs more buoyant, with no ability reduce your buoyancy. If I inflate my BC to add X lbs of buoyancy, I can dump air on the way up to control my ascent.

I remember performing the skills during my OW dives, but have never had to use them.

I agree that ditchable weight is important, but would consider it as a last resort while at depth. Ditching X lbs of weight, and you permanently become X lbs more buoyant, with no ability reduce your buoyancy. If I inflate my BC to add X lbs of buoyancy, I can dump air on the way up to control my ascent.
If you wear a weight belt under your harness it also helps prevent that moment in a doff and don where you are suddenly very positive and your rig is equally negative. :eyebrow:

I currently wear 20 lbs in 2 surelock integrated weight pockets on my WTX harness, 5 lbs in a steel BP, and 4 lbs in ankle weights for trim. I'm not fully comfortable with the safety of the surelock weight pockets holding 20 lbs of weight, so I'm thinking of moving 10 lbs to a weight belt. This weight would be difficult to ditch though, due to the crotch strap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom