OWSI or MSDT? Is it worth the extra money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSDT makes you more marketable in the industry. If you intend to work in the industry and if you can afford to do it then you should go for it.

Anyway I taught somebody the EANx course who already had 4 other specs and rescue, they asked if I could certify them as an MSD. I couldn't find any issue with this in the manual so I processed them and never heard of any problem from PADI afterwards.

Any OWSI can certify someone as master scuba diver. Its not a course, its simply filling in a form so requires no extra experience!

As the manual states, the rating requires to certify is just "Instructor"

Hey there. As an recent OWSI myself I would recommend the MSDT. Not because of the specs you get but because of the 25 certs you have to do and the increased chance of finding employement there after.

Most dive shops let you intern with them while doing it so you get tonnes of practicle experience. Even if you dont think you need this, your future employer will hire you faster if he/she see thats you've got that extra experience.

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
I went the MSDT route right away. I found that doing the certifications with the CD to get the specialty instructor credential (rather than self certifying) made sense, as it gave me a foundation of how someone else would teach the course, rather than having to make my best effort guided only by the instructor manual. Do I teach all those courses in exactly the same way they were taught to me? of course not. I do, however, enjoy having a baseline from which to begin.

However you get qualified to teach the specialties, I encourage you to do so. Teaching more experienced divers about something they're interested in and YOU enjoy is huge on the reward scale. Want to do your Digital UW Photographer along with your UW Naturalist this week? Let's go!

Enjoy your journey! Where are you doing the IDC?

I'm doing the IDC in Utila this April. I land in Mexico this Wednesday, and will be backpacking over there via Cuba, Guatemala, Belize and El Salvador.

I did mine in Utila also, at UDC. Enjoy your journey, both the travel to get there, and the IDC!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom