OWSI or MSDT? Is it worth the extra money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

old8oy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all

I'm off to become an instructor in April, and am wondering whether the MSDT is worth doing, as opposed to the cheaper option of OWSI (inc Nitrox instructor).

A few people have said that some dive operations are asking for MSDTs more and more. But I don't know of any instructor in places I've dived that have actually taught any specialties.

So is there a point? Can't an OWSI teach Advanced/ Rescue/ DM courses anyway? It seems a lot of cash to be shelling out on top, for the sake of being able to "teach" UW photography, Deep, Fish ID, DPV skills et al.

Any advice would be welcome.

Most dive centres that ask for MSDT rating do so because it ensures that the instructor has certified a minimum of 25 students, thus guaranteeing a base-level of post-course experience.

I am not sure where you've dived, but lots of specialities do get taught. Nitrox, deep and wreck having the most demand.

Another factor is the high competition to get instructor work. There are lots of MSDTs around, so you'll always be second-fiddle to them when it comes to job applications.

I, personally, would specify MSDT rating when placing job adverts for the reasons I have specified. Language skills are normally a key issue also - especially in tourist areas.

Where do you plan to learn and where do you plan to teach? That alone should dictate what specialties you would consider. Around here, Enriched Air, drysuit, deep, navigation are often in demand.

There will be no point in adding on specialties to your IDC (specific to that location), in order to get your MSDT later if you are not going to be teaching them.

The point is not just to get the MSDT rating, but to have the credentials to teach specialties that are are in demand in your area.

My shop gives a discount for signing up for more at once. If I get my AI then my OWSI it costs more than an AI/OWSI combined program. If MSDT costs the same as OWSI then getting the required Specialties there is no point. You might as well wait. If you save money going straight to MSDT then it might be worth it.

As an OWSI you can teach:

• PADI Scuba Diver/Open Water Diver
  • Adventures in Diving Program (Adventure Diver/Advanced Open Water Diver)
  • Rescue Diver
  • Divemaster
  • Skin Diver and Discover Snorkeling
  • Discover Scuba Diving
  • PADI Seal Team and Bubblemaker
  • Scuba Review and Discover Local Diving
  • Peak Performance Buoyancy
  • Project AWARE Specialty
  • AWARE - Coral Reef Conservation

As a MSDT you can teach the Specialties you are certified to teach (at least 5 of them) and certify Master Scuba Diver.

For me, it is a lot of cash to shell out. I got my DM and now I'm working at a shop. I'm making some spare cash, I get a shop discount and free air. I'll take the time to perfect my skills and get more comfortable working with different students. When I've saved up some more money I'll go for OWSI. After that I'll work at an OWSI making a little more than as a DM. Once I've saved up some more money I'll pick up the most popular Specialty. Then I can do OWSI and that Specialty. When I can afford it, I'll pick up the second most popular Specialty. At some point I'll have enough Specialties and certified students that I can become a MSDT.

This is actually what the shop is recommending I do. They laid out this route for me. Get certified in something (OWSI) and start making money. As you can afford it, get more certifications in a step by step fashion (Specialties). They don't even promote the MSDT. They promote individual Specialties instructor.

There are two things I get from being a MSDT. The first is that I can certify Master Scuba Divers (not worth anything at my shop) and it goes towards becoming a Tec Instructor. The shop I'm at does TecRec courses. MSDT is a requirement for becoming a Tec Instructor or Tec Deep Instructor.

This is really years down the road. Tec Instructor requires MSDT and technical certification (Tec 40 if going through PADI). I would anticipate needing a LOT more than the PADI minimum requirements to be taken seriously as a Tec Instructor in my area (TDI, IANTD and GUE rule here; my shop is the only TecRec shop and their bread and butter is recreational diving).

Just curious, what specialties would you learn to instructor with the MSDT you are looking at? How much to get the rating after OWSI? How much more to get the rating with OWSI?

Andy, how much of a difference does it make which specialties you can teach? I would guess being able to teach all specialties would make you even more valuable. Nitrox, Wreck and Deep, in that order are the big three around here. Oxygen Provider would be a good one as well. We have good drifts, drysuit is popular since it doubles your dive session (not to mention it can result in a drysuit sale) :wink:

Hope this helps,
Darrell

Darrell,

Get your O2 Provider instructor rating now. As a DM you can teach this. Make sure you register all your DSDs that you do. You will find that by the time you get your OWSI you will already have been credited a number of certifications. Maximum 5 from the O2 and 5 from the DSDs (every 4 DSDs = 1 Cert).

DM can teach Photographer Spec also.

If you've done a lot of personal underwater photography, and can add some real value to the basics of this course, it can be quite lucrative.

Thanks Hawkwood. I didn't know that 4 DSDs are worth 1 cert. I just finished my DSD Leader internship. I was willing to conduct DSDs for the shop, even though they don't pay DMs anything, just for the experience. Right now the shop is just having me assist. I suspect this is because they are too busy to have someone watch me teach and they don't want to let me teach on my own, since they didn't train me.

My gut tells me they won't let me teach until I'm going for OWSI with them.

Thanks Andy. However, I have no underwater photography experience. We have some very good staff in this area and people in my area make a living doing this. Most people in my area wouldn't let me teach them if I paid them. :rofl3:

Last edited:
That is too bad you are not paid for classes that you can teach. Where I "work" out of, DMs are paid for the classes they teach - DSDs, O2, Snorkelling and Skin Diving, etc.

Actually, I should clarify that after the holidays. The pay schedule has Instructor and Assistant. I wonder, since I am certified to teach DSD would I get 'Instructor' pay for that. I've been busy assisting with OW since I got my DSD Leader.

Regarding 'Speciality Instructor' certifications...

They should reflect your experience, interests and passions. If you genuinely love a certain aspect of diving, then you will have a passion for teaching it...and this will be evident to your potential students. Your enthusiasm in the subject will be contagious and this will lead to people signing up on courses with you. You will teach those courses very well, from the basis of your own experience, rather than just regurgitating the core materials.

I invested in a wide range of spec inst certifications when I first qualified. Unsurprisingly, the ones that I have taught are also the ones that I love to teach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom