OW wetsuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ebpearl4

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going on a OWC in a couple of weeks in MA. Current water temp is 50 F, but I hear it's supposed to go up to the mid 50's by the time I go there. I'm renting a 7mm Jacket/Jane, but I'm worried that I may still feel very cold in the water. I feel cold easily, and in my pool sessions, my 3mm shorty certainly does not keep me toasty warm. My instructor says most students wear their swim suit underneath for OW, but now I'm thinking perhaps I should get a jumpsuit like Henderson's microprene instead. I would like to know what you guys (experienced divers) think/recommend. I'm also planning on a scuba vacation in the tropic region of Australia towards the end of the year - will the jumpsuit + shorty be suitable for (or rather, keep me warm in) water temp in 78F ~ 80F? :confused:

Thanks.

are renting should be enough to keep you reasonably warm for your certification dives IF you also wear a hood and thick gloves. I would also recommend thick booties. The wetsuit must fit you properly.

The shorty and jump suit should be enough in the temperature you are talking about for your vacation. This can be affected by the length of the dives and the number of dives done per day.

For your cert dive weekend make sure you have something warm to eat or drink during the surface intervals. Stay out of the wind if at all possible.

Relax, enjoy and have fun:)

BTW this is a two piece suit you are renting isn't it?

ebpearl4 once bubbled...
Hi,

I'm also planning on a scuba vacation in the tropic region of Australia towards the end of the year - will the jumpsuit + shorty be suitable for (or rather, keep me warm in) water temp in 78F ~ 80F? :confused:

Thanks.

I'd agree with others regarding the wetsuit. I did my open water in a 7mil suit, the water temp was between 45-48 degrees. It wasn't too bad. We were in Australia during August, which is kinda their spring time. The water temps were around 75 - 78 degrees, I dove in a shorty, but to be honest after about 45 minutes in the water I was starting to get cold. If I was to do it over again I'd wear a 3mil full suit. You're going to love Australia, have fun.

but I used a Henderson HotSkin under my rental 7mm as well. It helped in getting the thing on and off easier. I agree with others that you should be warm enough.

It has been my experience that by the time I get suited up and to the water with the 7mm suit, I am hot and getting into the cool water and feeling it creep into the suit is rather refreshing.

Don't worry too much, relax and enjoy it.

Julie

You will be cold. I would say that if you want a skin underneath the FJ, go for it, but if you're cold all the time like I am, you're going to be cold. Might as well get used to the idea now.

When you're gearing up for the OW dives, try and get in the water with the first people in to get some water into the suit and let it warm up before you drop down. You can also take some hot water with you to dump down your suit before you get in, that will help as well.

I would probably look at a 3mm fullsuit for the Aus. trip, they are quite versatile and can be used in that temp range all the way into the 80's with no ill effect. If you opt for a skin, you can layer that underneath the 3mm for extra cold protection if you find the 3mm is not quite enough.

Unfortunately, thermal protection is a very individual thing and you might just need to try some stuff to find out what works for you. Use your logbook to record your exposure protection, water temps, and how you felt about it. It will be invaluable in helping you figure out what to wear next time.

Good luck and enjoy!! Diving is fun, even when you're cold :D

Rachel

Thank you guys for your advice and encouragements. Now I only hope the weather turns out to be good for my OW...

Thanks again :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom