OW Training with Backplate/Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xdeep also jas colored, recreational, quick release, wasy adjustable backplates.

Even backplates for dive centers which is meant to make it easier so you don't have to have multiole sizes for rent.

if the profit margins of BP/W were higher and they needed to be replaced more often jacket style BCDs, those shop monkeys would be well informed about BP/Ws.
I don't think so.

The first shop where I worked did not at first offer BP/Ws, but eventually they did. The profit margins were about the same. The retail staff claimed they talked about the pros and cons of each so divers could make up their minds, but pretty much everyone bought a jacket BCD, which is what the retail staff used.

There have been some interesting studies I encountered as an educator that showed how people trying to be objective, even reading a prepared script, still somehow steered people in the direction they thought they should go.

One issue that my first shop encountered just as I was leaving is that they followed the advice they were given by the owner of the dive agency they switched to. He reminded them that the more of a specific item they sold, the lower the dealer cost and thus the higher the markup. So they did what they were told--they identified specific models of BCD, regulator, computer, fins, wetsuit, etc., and steered customers to those specific models. The instructors were required to wear those items and tell students they had selected them because they were the best. (If I had stayed, I would have had to do the same.) That pretty much ended any possibility of BP/W sales.

I don't think so.

The first shop where I worked did not at first offer BP/Ws, but eventually they did. The profit margins were about the same. The retail staff claimed they talked about the pros and cons of each so divers could make up their minds, but pretty much everyone bought a jacket BCD, which is what the retail staff used.

There have been some interesting studies I encountered as an educator that showed how people trying to be objective, even reading a prepared script, still somehow steered people in the direction they thought they should go.
That was a hypothetical about the profit margin. The other point was how long they last. We all know that good wings last pretty much forever. The BP certainly does. Harnesses may need replacing every now and then, but are super cheap.

One thing breaks on a BCD, how often is just that part replaceable as opposed to just buying a new one?

We all know that good wings last pretty much forever.
I was cave diving in Mexico, and the doubles wing I brought with me Was too big for the AL80s we were using. The operator/guide I was using loaned me a used doubles wing of a more appropriate size. As we were exiting the cave on my first dive with it, I reached back to dump air from the rear dump, and the whole thing came off in my hand.

So, no, not forever.

I was cave diving in Mexico, and the doubles wing I brought with me Was too big for the AL80s we were using. The operator/guide I was using loaned me a used doubles wing of a more appropriate size. As we were exiting the cave on my first dive with it, I reached back to dump air from the rear dump, and the whole thing came off in my hand.

So, no, not forever.
please reread what I wrote.

I have completed my NAUI OW and Nitrox Certifications!!

Completed all but OW dives 3 and 4 in my Mares XR BP&w. Dives 3 and 4 were in a DR Transpack XT.

A few things I learned. There were some challenges with doffing and donning both on surface and in water with the BP&w. I did some homework and nailed both skills during my cert dives.

Question I have..

My buoyancy wasn’t too good on Dives 1 and 2. My legs would sink constantly unless moving forward. It was hard to hover. I’m diving DR XT fins with 5mm soft sole boots. I did not have any integrated weight and was carrying all 16# in a soft weight belt with shot.

Dives 3 and 4 were in the transpac xt with softplate and integrated weights (8# on each side in drop pockets) My legs did not sink. Buoyancy was real good and I could hover (even with feet up like a badass).

Do you think the weight belt is my issue or that the transpac is more negative?

It could be weight belt being lower on hips but more likely transpac has more lift near hips. Move some trim weight up to shoulder for backplate?

It could be weight belt being lower on hips but more likely transpac has more lift near hips. Move some trim weight up to shoulder for backplate?

Transpac is just the harness. Going to depend on which wing he was using with it. None of the DR single tank wings are going to have extra lift near the hips.

Transpac is just the harness. Going to depend on which wing he was using with it. None of the DR single tank wings are going to have extra lift near the hips.
I’m referring to relative buoyancy from transpac itself as compared to plate setup.

Some older DR wings have shapes that are intended to put more lift near hips, like venture 360.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom