OW Training with Backplate/Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since Covid do they actually really share air during OW cert? When I did mine the training BCD had an air2 so not much different but that was a long time ago.
I did a checkout dive for working at an aquarium last year. The gear used in the aquarium is setup with primary donate, though in reality, an actual air sharing would be unlikely. Depths are relatively shallow, and each diver also carries a Spare Air.

Nevertheless, the checkout dive covered both air sharing and using the spare. The air sharing was simulated. Primary was offered, donor switched to secondary, OOA diver acted like they would breathe off the donated reg, but in reality, just removed their primary, then replaced primary, purged and breathed off their own during ascent.

Since Covid do they actually really share air during OW cert? When I did mine the training BCD had an air2 so not much different but that was a long time ago.
It depends. There are provisions in place with primary donate where you basically clip the receiving regulator off and go through the rest of the motions that were published very early on. Most students are sharing gas normally now though as clipping it off doesn't really have the same effect so it is encouraged to go back to normal.

As a new diver I would take advantage of their supplied equipment and integrate easily with the rest of the class. If you like diving and continue with it there's plenty of time to go your own way.

BP/W is just another BC and a well rounded instructor should not have an issue with it. We teach both primary and secondary donate as the shop we teach out of has both Air2's and octopus set-ups in their rentals. My opinion learn primary and secondary donate as you will see both if you travel to dive and may have an instabuddy that has either one.

BP/W is just another BC and a well rounded instructor should not have an issue with it. We teach both primary and secondary donate as the shop we teach out of has both Air2's and octopus set-ups in their rentals. My opinion learn primary and secondary donate as you will see both if you travel to dive and may have an instabuddy that has either one.
Most divers only know secondary donates from their initial training.
I dive with BP/W with long hose and very often been asked about my configuration. I have to explain to my insta buddy that the reg in my mouth is for him/her if required but leave the one under my chin alone. Some of them was a bit put off by the idea of breathing a reg just been taken off from a stranger mouth!!!
I have only done it once and the receiver did not hesitate to breath from it because she was really low on air.

Some of them was a bit put off by the idea of breathing a reg just been taken off from a stranger mouth!!!
I have only done it once and the receiver did not hesitate to breath from it because she was really low on air.

No air puts things in perspective really, fast, Breathing off a long hose is the next perspective.

Besides the mouthpiece got washed on the way to their mouth....😁

Most divers only know secondary donates from their initial training.
I think teaching only secondary donate can be an issue. I see lots of Air2's on rental gear or a new diver buys a BC with one on it and doesn't even realize they are now primary donate but have never been introduced to it.

I just certified a guy in that configuration. He is a former Special Forces diver from a few years back and decided to get back into diving and get his civilian certification through SSI. I got him Nitrox certified in his OW class as well. He's in the sport for good, so we took care of a few things right off the bat.

It is often said you can't predict how an OOO diver will behave. The best way in the world to combat this is to prepare YOURSELF. I have trained to the point that I don't care WHAT reg you take or when you take it. If you take my primary (which I am setup for) great, enjoy my primary as we make our way to the surface. If you have the thought in your head to take my necklaced second, good for you, but your going to be on a very short chain (like 20" short). But always keep in mind, you can not dictate the initial contact and if you only prepare for a single scenario, you have already set yourself up for failure. A famous Tyson quote says "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom