OW Training with Backplate/Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i am not aware of any standard that would prohibit you from doing the entry level ow diver course in a bp/w. just be sure to set it up with weight pockets that are ditchable.

i cannot comment on what other agencies do, but SSI's official prefferred method of air sharing is by passing the primary. so any SSI shop can do it if they choose to.

that said, clearly you would want to discuss your prefferred training method with the shop first, to make sure they are comfortable and familiar enough with that method to use it during class.

it would be best if you could find one that does it this way regularily, but if not, you may need to do a private class. the shop may decide it might confuse other students in the class if they were teaching you differently than others.

i personally would have no issues teaching you in a bp/w with a long/short hose reg set up, but i would not do it along side other entry level students as our traditional method is completely different. our alternate is actually on the left. but thats a another story. :)

Can I learn to dive and get my OW cert with a backplate / wing and a primary donate reg setup? If so, where can I find an instructor / agency that will train me that way? I’m in PA but travel to NC and FL often.
yes, @LandonL at Aqui Watersports would be my first contact if your Florida travel is near Lauderdale. Top notch instruction from him and Ryan and they'll teach you primary donate in a bp/w out of the gate. It's also pretty water and warm vs learning in PA or NC where you'll be in a quarry.
Where in NC do you go? I can recommend but NC is a big state so if you want to do it there need to at least know what region you're going to be in.

Since Covid do they actually really share air during OW cert? When I did mine the training BCD had an air2 so not much different but that was a long time ago.

Since Covid do they actually really share air during OW cert? When I did mine the training BCD had an air2 so not much different but that was a long time ago.

i am not sure what others do but we sanitize all our regs after each class. each student also has their own mouth peice that we put on their buddies alternate reg before each class.

For me (actually my daughter), it was easiest to just go with the flow and use the shop's equipment and configuration (plus, let their gear get eaten up with the chlorine). When it came time for her open water component, it really wasn't a big deal to her going into her own gear (bp/w). Again for the certification dives, it was their conventional regulator configuration. Once she had her card, the switch was made the way we dive... just the cost of hoses....

easy peasy....

A technical diving instructor would pretty much always also be able to teach the OW course. When I was a technical instructor working for a shop, I taught the OW classes in the same jacket BCDs the students used. If a student had wanted to do the class in BP/W, we would have arranged to have me do it as an individual class with me teaching in my own gear. I would think any shop with a technical instructor on staff could do it.

yes, @LandonL at Aqui Watersports would be my first contact if your Florida travel is near Lauderdale. Top notch instruction from him and Ryan and they'll teach you primary donate in a bp/w out of the gate. It's also pretty water and warm vs learning in PA or NC where you'll be in a quarry.
Where in NC do you go? I can recommend but NC is a big state so if you want to do it there need to at least know what region you're going to be in.
I’m in NE Pa near Wilkes Barre. In NC were near Wilmington. Florida is the Tampa Area.

Can I learn to dive and get my OW cert with a backplate / wing and a primary donate reg setup? If so, where can I find an instructor / agency that will train me that way? I’m in PA but travel to NC and FL often.
That should be no problem. I can't imagine anyone would have trouble with the BP/W. Primary or secondary donate would likely depend on the agency.

When I got my first OW long ago through PADI, secondary donate was taught.
I got a second OW through YMCA and was introduced to primary donate.
My daughters were taught through SSI and were taught primary donate.

I’m in NE Pa near Wilkes Barre. In NC were near Wilmington. Florida is the Tampa Area.
Let me know if you need a recommendation for Tampa area (Pinellas) instructor or shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom