OW Training with Backplate/Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adirondack Scuba (Malta/Saratoga Springs,NY) does primary donate/necklace octo and no issues with you diving BP/W for open water SDI. They are a fantastic group and did an awesome job training my better half...It isn't close to you but its a lot closer than Florida

I have completed my NAUI OW and Nitrox Certifications!!

Completed all but OW dives 3 and 4 in my Mares XR BP&w. Dives 3 and 4 were in a DR Transpack XT.

A few things I learned. There were some challenges with doffing and donning both on surface and in water with the BP&w. I did some homework and nailed both skills during my cert dives.

Question I have..

My buoyancy wasn’t too good on Dives 1 and 2. My legs would sink constantly unless moving forward. It was hard to hover. I’m diving DR XT fins with 5mm soft sole boots. I did not have any integrated weight and was carrying all 16# in a soft weight belt with shot.

Dives 3 and 4 were in the transpac xt with softplate and integrated weights (8# on each side in drop pockets) My legs did not sink. Buoyancy was real good and I could hover (even with feet up like a badass).

Do you think the weight belt is my issue or that the transpac is more negative?
Carrying that much lead in one spot is the issue, not the BC. Did your instructor talk about weight distribution at all? Some of that lead should have went onto the cam bands using pockets on them. If it were me, I'd have put 6-8 of that on the cam bands with the plate and the rest on the belt using pockets that would allow you to release some of it without dumping the entire belt.
What thickness suit were you using?

A BP/W is no different in concept to a back inflate hybrid BC, and they train in those all the time. In fact probably easier in a BP/W because you can use a weightbelt for the don/doff skills and “roll on” the weightbelt skill on the surface.
A primary donate system (long hose/short hose) is technically no different than an Air2 primary donate system, and they train in those all the time too. If you explain it this way to to them maybe they will understand it.

I weigh 225 lbs and it’s more of a solid 225 as opposed to soft.

I dive in a 2pc 3mm wetsuit and used a Mares XR aluminum plate. Diving fresh water. AL80 cylinder.

My instructor had me wearing 16# all soft weight in a zippered weight belt.

I’m reading now with that plate I should have closer to 10# total in addition to my backplate and I was WAY OVER WEIGHTED.

The weight was derived from a good guess by my instructor.

16 lbs does sound like a bit much, but not a terrible estimate from your instructor. However, as you dove, he should have adjusted the amount of lead to be more precise. Chances are you could probably dive with 8-10 lbs of lead, maybe even a little less depending on the type of wetsuit and other factors.

If you are 225 and need just 10 lbs, you would probably be comfortable with all the lead on a weightbelt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom