OW in Curacao - how to choose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lala_atlas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,
I'm going to Curacao next week to get my OW certification and SO excited. I made a reservation with the dive shop at my hotel (Caribbean Sea Sports, at the Marriott), but had also contacted another shop (The Dive Bus) to get info when I was planning the trip a few days ago.

I'm now confused - the Dive Bus would be three days of 8-5:30 PM, whereas CSS said it would be two days of 1-5:30 then a full day on the third day. Both operations seem to have great reviews online, so I would think that it would be worth it to do the CSS one because of convenience... But I definitely want as thorough instruction as I can get! For those of you who teach OW or have been certified, do you think this sounds like the full days would be better? CSS said I'd pick up my book the first day I get in and then start classes the next day... I guess maybe there's more classroom work at the Dive Bus

Thanks!
Lauren

I'd go with CSS because they add a fifth dive off their boat. So you get some exposure as to how that's done. They have 2 large dive boats but limit the amount of divers per boat. One is a jet boat so there's no prop to worry about. As a new diver, you'll have your own instructor also for your group.

Also you're staying at least 20+mins. away from the Dive Bus facility near Pierbaii. The Dive Bus does skills and then your 4 dives off the beach nearby. Although I often recommend the Dive Bus to others, they're good people, in your situation I might go with CSS.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. PADI (and everyone else) also offers E-learning. If you have time b4 you leave you might look into that since then all you'll have to do is skills and certification dives in Curacao. If you do, check with CSS as I think you book it thru their website somehow to get the correct credit.

fwiw, the Marriott is very nice. One of the better ones I've been to.

Hello,
I'm going to Curacao next week to get my OW certification and SO excited. I made a reservation with the dive shop at my hotel (Caribbean Sea Sports, at the Marriott), but had also contacted another shop (The Dive Bus) to get info when I was planning the trip a few days ago.

I'm now confused - the Dive Bus would be three days of 8-5:30 PM, whereas CSS said it would be two days of 1-5:30 then a full day on the third day. Both operations seem to have great reviews online, so I would think that it would be worth it to do the CSS one because of convenience... But I definitely want as thorough instruction as I can get! For those of you who teach OW or have been certified, do you think this sounds like the full days would be better? CSS said I'd pick up my book the first day I get in and then start classes the next day... I guess maybe there's more classroom work at the Dive Bus

Thanks!
Lauren

I'm headed to the Marriott in Curacao in October.. Keep us posted as to your experience!! THX!

I used to work for the Dive Bus - and go drinking with the folks from CSS (who also used to let us use our compressor!) I'd prefer to keep discussion about former employers and the friendly competition offline so PM me for more information as to the various operations (please note I also left the area in 2009!) Also please note I have nothing bad to say about either of them, but as I say, I prefer not to discuss or advertise for either current or former employers in public.

You may also wish to consider reposting this in the appropriate regional forum (lesser antilles) here.

Cheers

C.

I definitely second the recommendation on doing the book work before you get there. PADI's e-leraning is at you own pace, very easy to follow and intuitive. Save the vacation time for the skills portions!

Koen

I have never trained with CSS, but have stayed at the Marriott and dived with them on three separate trips. Good OP, and I'd recommend them. Plus... the logistics/hassle factor is zero since they are right there at your hotel. Don't underestimate the benefit of reduced stress. Get up, have a leisurely breakfast, and stroll over to the shop. Forgot something in your room? Run back over during a break. Plus, bill it all o your room and get more Marriott points towards your NEXT trip to Curaçao!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom