OW dive didn't work out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA:
You really do have to be comfortable in the water. I'm sure what happened is the instructor noticed you were not. One thing they are taught to notice is if a diver is slow gearing up and getting in the water. It is a sign that they have some reservations about what they are doing. QUOTE]

Without looking too much into this thread (apologies if i am repeating someones answer), i agree with the above. I would suggest that your instructor noticed your quarms and reacted appropriately. This is not a bad sign at all to be honest. Your instructor letting you fit in with another class is exactly what i believe my intructor would do for me.

The main thing is not to panic yourself. So you panicked and didn't feel right, there you go. I'm a novice and some good DM friends of mine still have the wheelies from time to time and are happy admit it (above water or below it).

Your best bet is to address the root of the problem. If you have some comfort issues with certain tasks or situations, get back in that pool and overcome it. If diving is not for you then you will know that soon enough. If you want to beat this and be competent, develop your own 'go for it' attitude and ask your instructor for additional help if you think you need it.

Don't worry too much about it. If you really want to do this, a bit of positive thought will do the world of good.

Good luck with things

Scotty

I think you should try whatever it takes to complete this course, AND become the best damn scuba diver out there. It will probably help you with a lot of other aspects of your life, outside of scuba diving.

Scuba diving isn't that hard of a sport, as far as sports go, almost anyone can do it, so it isn't a matter of whether you CAN do it or not, it sounds like you have some mental barriers to overcome.

I would take your instructor up on his offer. Even if you constantly give him a headache, and he thinks you are a pain in his XXX.

Because not only will you be better for it in the end, but so will he just because he gave the extra effort.

Even if it takes you the rest of your life, don't give up.

Bookymad,
I just sent you a PM but thought I'd also respond here... As everyone else has said, take your instructor up on his offer of help. They've have been through countless students and they have seen it all I'm sure... But I would also go practice in the pool and take some swim lessons... I did that before I started as an adult in my, well over 30's.... lol.... But it helped.... If you use your rental gear in the pool, only do it with supervision.. you can get in trouble if you don't.... Also, start working out some way.. Whether it's running for endurance, or walking or the gym.. You do need to some form of fitness/endurance for this sport....
And don't let Redondo decide your diving career... That place can be really rough and very intimidating.... I know.... I've been knocked ***** over tea kettle there.. My first beach dive was Malibu, which was very ok actually.... But if my first dive ever, had been a beach dive at Redondo, I would have quit that day.. But luckily the first beach dive I forgot my weight belt and my buddy was having ear problems that day.. So we ended up doing the boat first and coming back to the beach.. I'm so glad that's how we did it... For me that was much better.....
But the point here is don't quit.... You can do it, you'll just have to work harder. :D

Just remeber your biggest threat underwater is the person that looks back at you in the mirror. If you've done the skills in the pool and done them fairly well don't let your fear get you. If you feel anxious just take a moment to take a deep breath and remeber you know exactly what you have to do. Taking a moment to think about it will be your best defense against fear that leads to panic.

bookymad:
-----major snip----------

Asked my instructor if I should do it or not. He kind of agreed that I shouldn't. Now, this post is not to criticize him or anything. He's a great instructor. Has been extraordinarily patient and kind with me. I was always the last one in the class to get anything, and so on. Anyway, he's a great guy (and believe me, I rarely ever say that of anyone in general) so that's not what this post is about.

It's a PADI class at a Sport Chalet. He said that I could keep practicing in the pool and um, work out some fitness issues. Plus my swimming ability seriously sucks. I meant kicking from the hips and so on and I guess the swimming itself as well (at least I don't drown). Plus, I was always kind anxious in the class over everything single thing. I know.......why on earth was I taking it then? I really did want to learn scuba diving. Even though, I was somewhat fearful of it. Go figure.
----------another one---------------

You already have the list of things to work on. Seargh each problem here and apply the search results or spend some time in a pool, with or without your gear, and spend some time drilling on gear asembly and checklists and donning your exposure suit, then hit it again.

BTW I have several thousand dives behind me. I'll show no hesitation to abort a dive or boat trip if something just doesn't "feel right" that day. Every time I haven't listend to the "little voice" telling me to abort for a reason I couldn't pin down I eventually learned why it was talking to me. Sometimes the recovery was easy, other times the healing took weeks. Some trepidation is normal when starting a new task, but you had enough on your plate listening to the little voice this time was a REALLY good idea. It shows you have what it takes in decision making to do this game right.

FT

FredT:
BTW I have several thousand dives behind me. I'll show no hesitation to abort a dive or boat trip if something just doesn't "feel right" that day. Every time I haven't listend to the "little voice" telling me to abort for a reason I couldn't pin down I eventually learned why it was talking to me.
FT

The little voice is your friend.

Some of my favorite dives have been spent sitting at a bar with a beer and burger, looking out at the scary water I didn't go out on. :cool:

Terry

Better to be on shore wishing you're in the water, than in the water wishing you were on shore. (Love that line, wish I knew who I ripped it off from.)

Lots of good advice here.

On a personal level, you need to decide just how badly you want to learn to dive. If you really want to do this, the rest is just working through all of the issues. Whatever it takes, be it hours and hours in the pool working on basic scuba skills, hours and hours in the pool working on comfort in the water, improving your fitness level, working through comfort issues, whatever, is simply a step that you have to go through to reach your end goal.

Another thing that I think you should keep in mind. Forget about time limits. If you decide to go ahead with this, but in 6 weeks you don't feel ready to retry your OW dives, pass on them and work on everything some more. I had issues with a particular diving class I took, and it took me over a year to get to the point that both me and my instructor felt that I was "certifiable".

you should not have had to pay for the full course if you didnt complete it.. your instructor should have gave you a REFERAL form which he will sign u off for the parts completed you can only pay for that. then u can take that form to any diving school any try with someone else you might find that with another instructor u can get through it. i have had many students like this myself. try and find one that dont have big groups of students its better 4 u. keep at it, there is a whole new world waiting 4 u.

Wow, I wasn't expecting so many responses. Thanks so much for all your kind words, encouragement, and advice.

I've decided that I will stick with it. Scuba diving is so worth it!!! This course gave me a tantalizing glimpse of the world of scuba diving, and it only has made me want it more than ever. So, maybe it was a good thing that I did call the dive after all. I knew that I wasn't comfortable with my own skills and so on. It wouldn't have been worth it ruining it for others. Like some mentioned, it's already a lot to process on your first OW dive without having deal with additional stuff.

I've sent an email to my instructor, and you're right, regardless of the where the offer is coming from, the point is that it gives me a chance to keep working at it. So, here's to hoping that it will work out. I think that my next attempt at OW dive will be hundred times better because I've gone through the drill again.

I think with scuba diving, at least for me, it will probably take a few dives before I really will be comfortable with the whole thing. It's a lot of work, but in the end, what isn't? Things that you have to work for, you'll end up being happier with it.

I'm the shyest person imaginable, and people who know me would be gasping at the idea that I was even considering joining diving groups once I completed the basic OW and AOW. I hate interacting with people, and yet for scuba diving, I was willing to do it. You're all so lucky!!!!! I mean, that you're already in this world of scuba diving. So, with a little positive thought as someone here mentioned, and a whole lot of work, I'll be joining your ranks soon enough! :D

Thanks again for all your kind words.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom