OW dive didn't work out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bookymad

Reaction score
Profound apologies for this LONG posting. Kind of meanders a bit.

Today was supposed to be my first OW ocean dive. I panicked. My goggles kept fogging up. When I put my head in a water, some came in. Now, I know how to clear it, was able to do it all the time in the pool, and so on, but I just didn't want to submerge. Plus, I was last to join the group in the ocean, I was majorly slow, and and trouble with everything else.

Asked my instructor if I should do it or not. He kind of agreed that I shouldn't. Now, this post is not to criticize him or anything. He's a great instructor. Has been extraordinarily patient and kind with me. I was always the last one in the class to get anything, and so on. Anyway, he's a great guy (and believe me, I rarely ever say that of anyone in general) so that's not what this post is about.

It's a PADI class at a Sport Chalet. He said that I could keep practicing in the pool and um, work out some fitness issues. Plus my swimming ability seriously sucks. I meant kicking from the hips and so on and I guess the swimming itself as well (at least I don't drown). Plus, I was always kind anxious in the class over everything single thing. I know.......why on earth was I taking it then? I really did want to learn scuba diving. Even though, I was somewhat fearful of it. Go figure.

Anyway, since I passed the written test, it's only a couple of ocean dives left. God, I really wanted to do the Santa Cruz/Anacapa dive tomorrow. Today was the Redondo beach dive....a practice drill so to speak. Anyway, in six weeks I could do the dive with another class (I'm assuming that's what he meant).

The pool practices, I'd have to schedule it with him or couple of others and so on. And then do it in six weeks as mentioned.

My question is that, is that the norm for this? I mean, I don't have to take the class over so to speak, cause I've passed the written part. It only needs a couple of dives to technically complete it. I was seriously upset that I didn't do it. And I was distant,snappy, and offish...with him. He did seem to go out of his way to tell me that this is not the end of it and to practice, work out, and do it again.

I could email him and recheck this offer about this and if it doesn't go out of his way and of his colleagues, then I suppose I should take him on it.

Should I? I just want to know if this is the standard norm for students who panic at the last minute at the ocean......in their PADI class at Sport Chalet. I want to know if this offer is a standard offer given to students who don't do the ocean dive. Cause if it's not, I suppose I should consider myself lucky for such an offer. If it is a standard offer, maybe I'll do it or not. I don't know. I'm kind of upset with myself the most. I'm upset that I pulled out. I'm sad. I don't know if I should push myself to finish it or not. I tend to be one of those IDIOTIC kind of person who gives up way too easily. I'm scared of trying again and not being able to do it. But, if the offer was out of norm, cause, see, I'm one of those kind of loners, and this class was kind of something out of norm for me as well, so, I would at least appreciate the meaning and the sentiment that he extended in his offer. And maybe not dismiss it so lightly. Does that sound dumb?

Anyway, trying to end this darn post, otherwise it'll end up being a book. What do you think? Norm or not? Should I do it or not? And whatever else you think. Feel free to be honest. It's not going to hurt my feelings, and besides, I couldn't possibly feel any worse than I do right now.

My first LDS allowed someone from my OW class to come back and get more experience in the pool before the 'open water' dives in the poor visibility reservoir which he was paranoid about..

Diving is a new experience, and that can be an intimidating thing.. people naturally oppose change.

But diving is a wonderful thing.. Take your time and get comfortable in the pool, and it will make the seemingly unkown of open water less intimidating.

I am almost positive that it would be convenient for the diveshop to accomodate you for additional pool experience.

Let me know if I can help,
Take care,
Scott

If you truly want to scuba dive, then dive you shall.

If you got scared today, you were right to abort the dive. In life, there's no sense in going through with something when you're not feeling right about it. Scuba is especially so. You don't want to get 12 meters down and panic. If anything, you showed good diver's judgment by aborting because you didn't feel right. That, I think, says something.

As far as I know, you got a standard invitation to finish your training at a later date. It's really no different than if you had to split up your class where you do classroom work and then go on a trip later on to do your checkout dives. Obviously there is hope, if you were told to come on back and try again.

Taking them up on extra pool work is an excellent idea. You will get more practice on basic skills, you will get some swimming in--even getting in the pool and swimming with scuba gear is good for you--, and most importantly you will get your confidence back.

No matter what anyone says, getting into the ocean for the first time *does* take courage. I remember being just a bit nervous before my first ocean dive, and I was fine in the pool, and I was absolutely dead-set on being a diver. Just like you, yes? Regain your confidence and the ability to trust yourself, your instructor, and your training, and try again.

Aborting the dive does not show weakness or cowardly tendencies. Returning to the dive shop and "giving it hell" (meaning try again to the best of your ability) shows courage. You can do it!

Meanwhile, don't dwell on it. Watch Finding Nemo, or tend to your aquarium, or read Long Walk to Freedom (excellent book, just finished it).

Let us know how you get on :)

If its a PADI class then you need 4 OW dives

Instructors can be extremely kind and generous with their less-than-talented students -- I know.

You might get a kick out of reading the journal of my open water class. I didn't have panic issues, but I was completely klutzy at every single skill and task. That was a year ago, and I have now logged almost 200 dives and completely head-over-heels in love with the sport. So there is hope for the scuba-challenged.

Spend the time in the pool you need to spend until everything you have to do is free of anxiety. You can be slow and awkward in open water, and you will be when this is new, but the anxiety has got to go down to a low level for you to be safe in the ocean. Anxiety about poor skills will improve when the skills get better; anxiety about being underwater may improve with familiarity. But, although your first OW dives are going to be exciting, and a small amount of apprehension about your performance is normal, you should not be frightened about going underwater. Fear uses a lot of bandwidth, and I can tell you from personal experience that you need all the bandwidth you have to process things on your first dives. Being underwater in the ocean is exciting and wonderful, but there are a LOT of things to manage and keep track of when you first do this.

I wish you the very best of luck. I've had three incredible dives in the last two days -- diving is well worth the effort it takes to stick with it.

Ok.... Here is my comment.

The written part is nothing. Even high school kicked out dude can pass the exam. The most important are to meet the agency standard and your comfort level. Any cards for the scuba aren't diploma. It is just a piece of plastic to show that you pass through the level. So, if you have another chance to practice and get through, it is good thing for you. Don't be frustrated. Think it as your chance to get the private lesson. Who cares when you get the card..... Even you don't remember when you got it later...

you're the lady that was freaking out at vets this morning . i was going to come over to see if i could help calm you down .now i wish i had . this happens . some people just don't take to the water the first time . don't give up just yet. you need to contact your instructor and set up some more pool time . but now that you missed the beach dives 1-2 and boat dives 3-4 it might be cheaper to take the class over again.

You shouldn't have to pay to take the class over. You already did the class work, you just need to do the four OW dives. You can always jump in with the next class for those dives, and you shouldn't have to pay any more, other than the cost of the boat dives (which you haven't paid yet anyway, right?).

As for more pool time, I'm sure that Sport Chalet would let you join in with another class and do the skills in the pool along with them. Is that what your instructor is offering? In any case, I know that you don't have to finish everything up in one fell swoop. Some people just need some extra time. Meanwhile, if you have access to a pool on your own, I'd suggest you keep your rental gear for now (I assume that's what you have) and practice in the pool before you continue your course. (Be sure to have someone there WITH you -- do not do that on your own!)

What Sport Chalet are you doing this through? I recently got my OW, and I'm currently taking my AOW with Sport Chalet in Thousand Oaks. I dove with some friends at Veterans in Redondo on Wed, and I'm going with my AOW class to Leo Carrillo for a beach dive tomorrow morning.

Oh, and btw -- Wed. night was my first beach dive (we didn't do a beach dive during our OW class -- long story). I didn't make it past the surf in my first attempt, and lost a fin in the process. But I refused to let the ocean beat me, so I borrowed a pair of fins and tried it again, and this time I made it in and had a spectacular dive. I felt great that I jumped back on that horse...and spanked it! You will too.

I agree that it's important to be fit -- I'm a runner and my legs are pretty strong, but I crawled out of the surf after my dive and could barely stand back up with all that heavy gear on my back! So do go and work out. A fit and healthy diver is undoubtedly a safer diver.

Good luck to you,

LeeAnne

if you truly want too do it dont give up, try and try again, i have had many students in fear of the ocean, and some have had too come back a second time, but they have all made it, you just need a bit more time to safie your comfort level, take the time and try again, MAYBE you might be better off with a one on one class, just you and the instructor!! that way you wont feel pushed to keep in pace with othere students, just a thought, you owe it too yourself to try again if this is what you want!! best of luck/wishes to you, let us know how you do!!!

let me say that my hubby gladly spends more time with students that are struggling and have a desire to scuba dive and are prepared to work on it.

he will gladly get them into a new course, phone them a few days before to go thru all the right things they are doing and even once they complete the requirements and are certified will offer to do some social dives with them to get their confidence of diving outside of courses.. he loves to dive and hopes to pass that on to his students

i suggest a straight out contact with your instructor, thank him for his efforts so far and say "so hwere to from here as i really want to do this!"

good luck and dont beat yourself up - it can be a scary enviroment at first but if you really want to do this, see it to the end and you can at least say you did it!

cheers

Back
Top Bottom