OW Certified....Now What?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1 solo diving is dangerous and not to be taken lightly

In general, I absolutely agree that solo diving is riskier than buddy diving. But like many things in life, there are exceptions. The amount of risk in diving is heavily dependent on the environment and conditions of the dive, as well as the behavior of the people diving in the vicinity.

I am perfectly comfortable solo diving in familiar locations with very low entanglement risks and shallow depths, good visibility, etc. I never bother to take a pony on dives like these. More challenging dives in environments for which redundancy is appropriate I use doubles and dive with a trusted partner.

What I was going to say to the OP, who is from corpus, is that I believe there's a LOT of fishing line in the water around the possible shore dives in his area. Not a good place to dive solo. But I'm sure there's a community of divers that you can get involved with.

Back to the original question, which was what to do after OW certification. Since getting certified in 2015, I've mostly been doing vacation dives in Key Largo (dives 29-34 last week) and Cozumel. When I don't have a dive buddy, I've been paying for a private DM. I think it is really useful to have a solid diver (that is, a DM or a known buddy) as your buddy early on.

halocline, Just had to add that in over 600 dives I have been briefly caught by fishing line once and that was in SPI, TX.--So your advice to the OP makes sense.
Oh, not counting the 2 times (one in FL, one in NJ) that fishermen tried to land me despite my dive flag.

A few thoughts:

1.) Advanced OW cert. is required by some dive op.s for some of the dives. I've seen a couple of guys turned down for a wreck dive out of Key Largo for lack of it. Plan to get that.

2.) Nitrox is useful on high-frequency (e.g.: Bonaire shore diving, or live-aboard diving 4 - 5x's/day) or some moderately deep diving location where much of the dive is at depth (e.g.: Jupiter in Florida, off-shore wrecks of North Carolina, deep wreck diving). Plan to get that.

3.) Get some diving done. High-frequency diving is readily done on live-aboard (Picking a Caribbean live-aboard) or shore diving Bonaire. Some land-based dive op.s offer 3 or 4 dives per day; I had that with Rainbow Reef Dive Center out of Key Largo (4 dives/day); Little Cayman Beach Resort offers 3/day plus a little added charge night diving is there's enough interest IIRC. I've recently learned that 4 dives/day can be done in Cozumel, but apparently the destination doesn't lend itself to such as easily (Aldora and 3P's reviews).

4.) Solo diving is great for some of us, some of the time. Not for everybody. How much experience you have to get ready for it I cannot know; I think the 'industry standard' of 100 dives is reasonable. By that time maybe you'll have had a few mishaps and a chance to see how you respond under pressure, and get a sense of how soberly you think through & conduct dives.

5.) Figure out your buddy philosophy. What I'm about to describe assumes popular dive tourist locales (e.g.: Bonaire, Belize, Cayman Islands, Key Largo) with benign tropical conditions (e.g.: warm water, good viz. (50 feet+), low currents (unless drift diving is the plan) and low likelihood of entanglement. Usually they are guide-led. Here are some buddy 'philosophies' that won't all be spoken, but will be practiced.

Type 1.) Nearby redundant air source buddy. You are likely part of a guide-led dive group, and you and your buddy occasionally look over to find each other, stay within several yards of each other (within allowable viz.), and if one of you has a problem (e.g.: low on gas), he can swim over to the other, signal, and get air, help, etc... But you don't expect anyone to notice you're in trouble.

Type 2.) Group Diver. Similar to Type 1, except since there's a sizable guide-led group, you don't depend on your buddy for navigation nor he on you, and in case of trouble there are a few other potential redundant air supplies in easy finning distance. You may not look for your buddy as much; if he's following the guide like you are, then he's nearby.

Type 3.) Tight Buddy. The pair discuss the plan in detail prior to splash, glance at each other frequently, note each other's general body language, are constantly aware within a small margin of where each other are, stay close and where they can see & be seen by each other and each is fairly likely to notice soon if one is narc.'d, faints, etc... Type 3 is most practical if you go on trips with a known tight buddy. 'I am my buddy's keeper.'

There are shades of gray (e.g.: advanced diver sort of shepherding a newbie, a photographer who's buddy does most of the buddy monitoring). Type 3 is what I think many on the forum believe should be the pervasive standard practice; Types 1 & 2 are what I think really is the pervasive standard practice, but I haven't done a survey. Sooner or later it's what you're gonna get if you dive with a lot of instabuddies, though.

I just recently - as in last month - got my OW certification. Now all I can think about is going diving! There's one problem....I'm certainly not experienced enough to dive alone but I don't have anyone to dive with.

How am I supposed to start building my dive experience?

Does anyone have tips for finding dive buddies?

Is the best option just chartered dive with my LDS until I meet someone and we hit it off?

Anyone have a good story of how you got started?

You have lot of options . You can go to Mammoth Lake in Lake Jackson and get a lot of dive time in. a ways longer and you have blue lagoon.

Let me know about when you are available in may. I am on vacation for 3 weeks and will spend time with you if you like.

Ill leave you my contact info in a PM. otherwise you can bet me at KWS@scubabooard.com

not counting the 2 times (one in FL, one in NJ) that fishermen tried to land me despite my dive flag.
I hate when fishermen do that, and they don't seem to really even care, assholes. I remember seeing a 15 yo girl sailing near a pier closer to the fishermen than was acceptable but it wasn't her fault as she was only a beginner. The fishermen just keep throwing lines on top of her, unacceptable, luckily all the hooks missed her or else she would have been seriously injured. I recall that the harbour police were called shortly after, but of course there was no sign of them.

Sorry, gone off topic, my bad, again....

I love diving, absolutely love it. In fact, I'm thinking of retiring early and moving to the Keys so I can dive every week. However, I don't love it so much that I would ever dive alone, regardless of experience level. Yes, that is purely a personal decision. But diving is an activity in an environment where we don't belong. Equipment today is better than ever, but not perfect. There's a reason, as Marie13 points out, the certifying agencies have prerequisites. And those only exist because people will insist on diving alone. Privately ask a really good instructor when they're not "on the clock." They'll tell you to never dive alone.

I love diving, absolutely love it. In fact, I'm thinking of retiring early and moving to the Keys so I can dive every week. However, I don't love it so much that I would ever dive alone, regardless of experience level. Yes, that is purely a personal decision. But diving is an activity in an environment where we don't belong. Equipment today is better than ever, but not perfect. There's a reason, as Marie13 points out, the certifying agencies have prerequisites. And those only exist because people will insist on diving alone. Privately ask a really good instructor when they're not "on the clock." They'll tell you to never dive alone.
Agree of course on it being a personal decision. I keep my solo dives usually to 30', but that's IMO glorified snorkeling with air. I have gotten advice a few years ago from two well respected veteran instructors who privately told me (to paraphrase) solo is fine if you know what you're doing.

Privately ask a really good instructor when they're not "on the clock." They'll tell you to never dive alone.
It varies. I have been told that GUE requires instructors to agree in writing to never solo dive. But there are (non-GUE) instructors here who dive solo.

But diving is an activity in an environment where we don't belong.

So is hurtling down the interstate at 70 mph in a couple tons of metal, plastic & tire rubber, but many of us do that, without a 'buddy' ready to seize the wheel if we have a heart attack, etc...

Some people don't like the idea of diving at all for the same reasons you are critical of solo diving.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom