OW Certified....Now What?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Privately ask a really good instructor when they're not "on the clock." They'll tell you to never dive alone.

One could make the argument that a "really good instructor" is effectively diving solo with a large taskload when teaching an OW class full of beginners.

Last edited:
One could make the argument that a "really good instructor" is effectively diving solo with a large taskload when teaching an OW class full of beginners.
Yes we know that. Many threads on that. See also Solo sub-forum.

Last edited:
Now what you ask? Well it's simple! Dive Dive Dive Dive Dive and more Dive. And then get AOW or equiv and then dive more and more and more and then when something looks interesting to you learn how to dive that and then dive some more until you find something else interesting and then learn that and then just keep on going!

OW is kind of like an invitation. You, having had enough training to be relatively safe in the water, are cordially invited to find what it is about diving that you enjoy.

Now that could be anything from a huge list:
1)Critters
2) Wrecks
3) Caves
4) Deep
5) Technical
6) Solo
7) Archaeology
8) Hunting (if allowed and available in your area) for the likes of scallops, lionfish. lobster etc.
9) Spending time with like-minded buddies
10) Photography
11) Videography
and so many more.

Some may take more training and/or experience. You don't necessarily need a course to learn something but it is proof that you did.

To b

To be honest, what is the point of solo diving? It's stupid some people think of doing it. Just find someone to dive with. Combat / naval divers don't even dive solo and they're much better trained than ANYONE here.

I heard of a story involving a commercial diver who used to work for Red Adair (look him up). He was solo diving in 3 metres of water. He got tangled up really, really badly in something (not sure if it was fishing lines or lobster pots or what), and he had a cutting tool. Anyway, he was tangled so badly he couldn't even reach his cutting tool. As the tide went down, he was fighting to either stand up or reach his cutting tool. In the end, he was found in 2 metres of water lying there holding his gauge. He ran out of air. He spent 30 mins trying to free himself but was f***** from the start. They think he swam in upside down by accident, and then twisted his whole body to stand up to see where he was caught, he basically trapped himself from the start.

This **** can happen to anyone, even an ex Royal Naval diver. DONT SOLO DIVE.

I beg your pardon but I solo dive all the time. I am very well versed with it and it's not stupid. And as a matter of fact my ex brother in law is an ex navy seal and they do dive solo. ...

If you would like to continue this discussion please feel free to contact me

Looks like you may have some local diving, do that with your LDS, find yourself some buddies. Go for a short trip, SE FL or the Keys, go out on some boats, learn to dive with some new buddies. Nothing like getting some initial experience

^^ This ^^

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom