Question Overwhelmed by choice of diving operators—any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've spent enough time on boats that the less time I spend on the boat the better. The ten minute ride from a southern AI is perfect, the twenty minute ride from the marina is more than enough, and the forty minute ride from centro is something I'd rather avoid. In flat seas and nice weather it's not a problem but if it's chilly or raining or choppy seas are drenching you the whole way it's not so pleasant.

When I dived with TP I never considered the taxi ride to the marina a negative. The fastest boat is about half the speed of a slow taxi and the taxi will keep you dry in any weather and won't jerk you around violently.

HA - I hardly went belly up! What a tasteless thing to say!

I was in operation for 19 years and made a very conscious choice to close the business to pursue and completely focus my new and more meaningful career (actually before the pandemic - but that gave me a great reason to sell). Belly up businesses do not continue to pay their staff throughout the pandemic and well after the business has closed. Belly up businesses don't pay their employees thousands and thousands of dollars in severance, so please get your facts straight.

Original plans were to let Pedro and Norma run it as long as they wanted to, but yeh, the pandemic made that tricky and it was not worth it to me or anyone else - so I cut my losses and my only regret was not closing it sooner.

I completed my Masters degree in December and am doing very meaningful and fulfilling work with adolescents and young adults struggling with addiction and mental health.

HA - I hardly went belly up! What a tasteless thing to say!

I was in operation for 19 years and made a very conscious choice to close the business to pursue and completely focus my new and more meaningful career (actually before the pandemic - but that gave me a great reason to sell). Belly up businesses do not continue to pay their staff throughout the pandemic and well after the business has closed. Belly up businesses don't pay their employees thousands and thousands of dollars in severance, so please get your facts straight.

Original plans were to let Pedro and Norma run it as long as they wanted to, but yeh, the pandemic made that tricky and it was not worth it to me or anyone else - so I cut my losses and my only regret was not closing it sooner.

I completed my Masters degree in December and am doing very meaningful and fulfilling work with adolescents and young adults struggling with addiction and mental health.
@Christi, I'm sorry if my choice of words was offensive, it wasn't my intention.

Maybe it was more appropriate to have said you, 'closed your doors/ operation'. I loved diving with your crew, which was a testament to you, and the work you put into building your business.

If things had gone different, and Blue XT Sea was still an option I would still be happily diving on your boats....

Dove one week last year with 3p’s and two weeks last year with Salty Endeavor’s……we prefer Salty.

@Christi, I'm sorry if my choice of words was offensive, it wasn't my intention.

Maybe it was more appropriate to have said you, 'closed your doors/ operation'. I loved diving with your crew, which was a testament to you, and the work you put into building your business.

If things had gone different, and Blue XT Sea was still an option I would still be happily diving on your boats....
Thank you very much, I appreciate that. Running a dive shop on the island in such a competitive market is not easy by any stretch of the means. It was an adventure, but one that I can honestly say I am grateful is over. I actually get days off now without having to worry about customer or staff issues or emails being answered, etc. I like not being the boss and getting a steady paycheck that is actually much more than I made as a dive shop owner - despite popular belief, dive shop owners are among the working poor. I am grateful to be doing work that is meaningful and that helps others improve their lives. Finally, the quality of life in Minnesota, even on the sub-zero days is heads and shoulders above quality of life on the island. I'm glad to be back!

Finally, the quality of life in Minnesota, even on the sub-zero days is heads and shoulders above quality of life on the island.
Wow. And to think some U.S. folks dream of retiring to a place like Cozumel for 'the good life.' What do you find much better living in Minnesota (a place I've never been and am neutral on)?

Richard.

I'm no Garrison Keillor, so you will have to listen to A Prairie Home Companion for all the details from Lake Wobegon, but I also like it up here.

1642376909122.png

1642376984996.png

Dive and stay package booked through Jeanie diving with 3p's and accommodations being the Casa Mexicana in town. This is as simple, easy and convenient you can get for a first timer and, quite frankly, after diving Coz for about 20 years now before 3P's existed and visiting the island before the Casa Mexicana was built you can't go wrong. It's my preferred dive and stay combo and I've been very happy with it the past 8 years? now.

Wow. And to think some U.S. folks dream of retiring to a place like Cozumel for 'the good life.' What do you find much better living in Minnesota (a place I've never been and am neutral on)?

Richard.
I don't want to hijack the thread, but just suffice it to say, vacationing somewhere is nothing like living there. People really take common basic conveniences in the US for granted - like being able to make a grocery list and actually find 80% of those items or a reasonable substitute. Obviously there is much more to my sentiments than that, but my recommendation is to keep the favorite vacation spot and hobby just that so you can truly enjoy it. I rarely got to hang out at the beach or do all of the fun things the island has to offer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom