Question Overwhelmed by choice of diving operators—any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are going in a couple weeks and I'm getting some sticker shock with the increased prices. Ouch! It's the same as Maui!
I pay $80 for a 2 tank trip, before multi-day discounts. My Op picks up my gear at my hotel room and takes care of it all week. Cheaper than Key Largo. How much was Maui?

I pay $80 for a 2 tank trip, before multi-day discounts. My Op picks up my gear at my hotel room and takes care of it all week. Cheaper than Key Largo. How much was Maui?
We get $100 boat dives includes everything. 2 tank. All gear.
Cozumel is about $95. Is there no way to pay park fees in advance at a cheaper rate?

Cozumel is about $95. Is there no way to pay park fees in advance at a cheaper rate?

Oh, I like using my own gear so I can't comment on rental gear. My $80 trips includes park fees. I'm sure you're paying less for hotels and dining, but I guess that would depend on tastes and choices.

Thanks for all the great recommendations. Heading to Coz for our first time. Any reason we need to choose one operator? Why not try each one for a dive? Price?
Most dive ops will give you a reduced rate if you bundle several days (that seems to be true in many locations).

My only dive op experience in the Centro area is with AquaSafari. I really like the crew on the boats - especially if you can get on the boat with Mariano. Keep in mind that going from downtown to the dive sites will mean a long boat ride, even on a 'fast boat'. On the slow boats (the ones with marine heads) it can take an hour and a half to get to Palancar or Columbia. Maybe half that time on the smaller, faster boats. Just be prepared for that.

Have fun!

There is no discount on the park fee. The only way to to get any break is to buy a park passport but that takes about 18 days of diving to break even. If a dive op lowers the price in reference to the park fee then it comes out of their pocket.

I dove with Blue Magic last November and they are fantastic....good price, good equipment, and great crews on their boats and in their office. We are going back next January and plan to dive with them again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom