Overwhelmed Beginner looking for a BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you get weight integrated back inflating bcs?
I hate weight belts. Such nuisances. I try to avoid them.

Absolutely...Zeagles are weight integrated. You would have to check other manufacturers...but certainly I am sure Zeagle isn't the only one with that feature.

You can even get weight integration on backplate and wing setups.

And no, back inflates are not difficult to get used to. My only regret after trying my first back inflate was that I ever used a jacket in the first place.

Phew. That's good then. My brother lost an expensive weight belt so he's now incredibly paranoid about them so I just feel like it's better to not have to worry about them at all. That's what's frustrating about diving, the gear is so expensive but you have to be ok with loosing it and replacing it. I can't even believe they make BCs with only one tank strap... Two to secure it just seems so logical to me. So I guess I'd better start looking at BP/Ws.

Just in case you find that a BP/W isn't for you (like I did), be aware that not only are Zeagle BCs back inflate, but they also have 2 tank bands, and don't have pull out weight pockets that can come loose and fall out.

=====================================

I've been diving since the early 70's and have owned/used just about every possible floatation device. But if I was starting all over again tomorrow, I'd most likely go with a back-inflate style of some sort.

Depends a lot on your style of diving as to which exact type/brand etc ...but I do think that back-inflate is the way to go. If you are doing mainly single tank recreational diving you might want to look at the Seaquest or Zeagle models.

MJ

After certification I have been renting a front adjustable jacket style BC with weight belt. Then I have moved on and rented an XS SCUBA with integrated weights. Then I have tried a back inflate Scuba Pro Ladyhawk a couple of times.

It was tricky to figure out how to trim myself properly and control my buoyancy. Part of the problem was that it was more difficult to dump air from the BC than using the jacket style BC. I had a 72 steel tank on my back and my torso is not that tall. I had to keep kicking or moving my legs to prevent my body from tilting forward.

I am a beginner diver so I am trying to figure out whether my problems were caused by the BC or my inexperience.

I cant speak about a lot of different BC's, However I'll let you know about MY experience.. After I received my certification, My wife and I also decided that we wanted to purchase our own equipment. I purchased the Pro QD I3. all I can say is that I LOVE IT! It inflates both back and front, easy lever for inflation and deflation. I have a bad left shoulder so lifting my arm over my head is nearly impossible.. My wife purchased the Balance from seaquest. Both of these have integrated weight systems as well. I've had 20 some dives in mine this year and so far so good.

I have tried the AIR2 Ladyhawk again. This time I practiced air share with my buddy and it turned out to be a real nightmare!

Orally inflating the BC underwater was impossible and doing it on the surface was as hard as hell!
I could not seal the valve underneath the AIR2 properly with my hand. Another problem I had was that one of the buckles that secured the integrated weights was so stiff that I could not release it (something to do with being a rented BC?).

In the August 2008 issue of Scuba Diving magazine there was an article about testing 8 new BCs for women. Well the Ladyhawk came at the the top but now I am wondering how these tests are carried out...

After my last two dives with a Ladyhawk my buddy and I met two other divers. They both use the Scuba Pro AIR2 Nighthawk. I asked them how they liked it. They were very happy but then it turned out that they have never practiced to orally inflate the BC...

The SCUBA PRO deal of buying one regulator and BC to get a computer for free sounds really tempting, but now I am really questioning whether saving about
$400 to get gear that is somewhat disappointing but "with practice I will get used to it" (so I have been told) is worth it or not.

(I tried a Zeagle BC, I don't remember the model. It had some features that I liked but its integrated weight system seemed rather cumbersome to me)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom