Overweighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
16 pounds with a 1mm? Good gracious. :11:

As to doing the weight check--one way is to hold the weight you're going to test by a strap. Lower it to the diver in the water and have them hold onto it. That way you can pull them to the surface if needed. :)

No, not 16# with a 1mm. i didn't make myself clear. i have a 1mm, 3mm and i use a hooded vest (7mm hood 3mm vest). i use these combined. it's the initial descent that gives me trouble. according to the standard bouyancy check, i'm fine. but if i try to lighten the load, can't get down using the "just sink" method. if i do a surface dive and go head first i'm ok with less weight. once i get down and everything gets good and wet and compressed. i'm good, and would not need that much weight. with just my gear (no suits), just my swim shorts, i can get down with 4#, but good greif, the water is cold here this time of year (68 degrees yesterday) BRRRRR.

SparticleBrane:
The most weight I've worn on a weight belt was 16lbs. It was on my first NC ocean dives wearing a (yuck) jacket BC. Never did a proper weight check or anything--I didn't use weight in class so I didn't expect to use any out there. Forgot about that 6lb backplate from class. :wink: Mate on the boat handed me a 16lbs weightbelt after I couldn't descend.
After the dive, it felt like my back was going to break in half from all the weight. I don't see how people wear such heavy weightbelts...

You would be shocked at the weight requirements to dive cold water. Alum tank, BC, neoprene drysuit, thick thermals, etc. 30 - 40+ lbs no problem.

--Matt

Matt: Try a bag suit. And AL doubles (yes yes, I'm buying steels hopefully in the future). And low to mid 40's water.

Stupid weight :)

jeckyll:
Matt: Try a bag suit. And AL doubles (yes yes, I'm buying steels hopefully in the future). And low to mid 40's water.

Stupid weight :)

I know this first hand with my 7mm neoprene drysuit in mid to high 30's water. This year the coldest I've measured was 38 degrees F two weekends ago. In fact, I have been meaning to post in NE Lobstah Divers to see what other temps have been seen in my area.

--Matt

I think I'd refuse to get in the water in a wetsuit if it was below 45 :)

I use 24lbs in freshwater. I have carried extra weight for my wife when she said she was over weighted antoher time I found a weight 4lbs gotta pick it up, did the rest of the dive just fine.

Back
Top Bottom