Overweighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

16 pounds with a 1mm? Good gracious. :11:

As to doing the weight check--one way is to hold the weight you're going to test by a strap. Lower it to the diver in the water and have them hold onto it. That way you can pull them to the surface if needed. :)

One of the interesting things I've learned since I've started diving doubles is that the problem with overweighting is a new diver thing.

All doubles divers start out pretty darned negative; if you're carrying stages, even more so. You're essentially "overweighted", although by the time you get to ten feet at the end of the maximal projected dive, you aren't. But going down ten to 15 pounds negative is like being an overweighted novice diver.

The difference is that the novice diver has a heck of a time managing the large air bubble in the BC or dry suit that is an unavoidable result of the large net negative weight on the inception of the dive. The experienced diver is still too negative, but has diving skills that allow him/her to cope with the resultant large air bubble.

Overweighting, per se, doesn't cause problems; Overweighting without the skills to deal with it causes problems.

TSandM:

The difference is that the novice diver has a heck of a time managing the large air bubble in the BC or dry suit that is an unavoidable result of the large net negative weight on the inception of the dive. The experienced diver is still too negative, but has diving skills that allow him/her to cope with the resultant large air bubble.

Overweighting, per se, doesn't cause problems; Overweighting without the skills to deal with it causes problems.

Exactly, it's a skill thing. Give me a big enough BC and you could strap an engine block to my butt and I'll cope. Vertically, but I'll manage. :)

TSandM:
One of the interesting things I've learned since I've started diving doubles is that the problem with overweighting is a new diver thing.

I agree too.

I have carried pockets of weight for divers checking configurations and it has not bothered me even though it added up to a gallon of air volume in my BC (about 8 lbs).

But when you are just starting out and don't have that developed sense of when you are getting too positive or heavy, a quick hand on your BC valves, lung finesse and overall skills that extra gallon of air can be like trying to tame a tiger.

Pete

I've gone in at various times without mask, fins, weight belt (not all at once though)

The most weight I've worn on a weight belt was 16lbs. It was on my first NC ocean dives wearing a (yuck) jacket BC. Never did a proper weight check or anything--I didn't use weight in class so I didn't expect to use any out there. Forgot about that 6lb backplate from class. :wink: Mate on the boat handed me a 16lbs weightbelt after I couldn't descend.
After the dive, it felt like my back was going to break in half from all the weight. I don't see how people wear such heavy weightbelts...

aowdan:
Just wanted to know other peoples take on these type of errors (if you can admit them) Like I said, I know I'll get ripped. It seems to be the way when someone ADMITS a mistake.

Oh well.

I descended on my snorkel once.

Right after that I made a configuration change that involved folding the snorkel up and putting it in my pocket, which makes future errors of this type much more difficult.:D

Terry

TSandM:

Totally Agree - and I've found the situation is further exacerbated when wearing think wetsuits (7mil with added 7mil vest/2piece 7mil farmer john etc) since the swing is more severe. Once you build the skills - it isn't as much of an issue.

we've all done dumb stuff. the important thing is to learn from it. sounds like you did.

TSandM:

Hey who's bubble are you calling large! :wink:

To the OP:

Obviously, overweighting matters. But I remember that when I was starting out, I would often get a bit stressed before descending. I forget who mentioned the following method, it may have been Bob (NWGratefuldiver):

-When ready to descend, first make sure the fins aren't moving and toes pointed down.
-Then breath in as the BCD is deflated until you start to have the water eye level. -Now Exhale and stop deflating.
-A nice gentle descend should be in the making.

Sinking should be no problem and if the sequence is done right and not too hurried, the plummeting descent shouldn't happen.

Maybe that will help your wife. :)

Bjorn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom