Overtightened transmitter battery cap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was a company out of Texas (Cochran) that sold a battery door removal tool for their computers (was actually on their web-store). It was a freaking quarter that they sold for something like $3-$5.00......

The Quarter was dual purpose. It was for battery removal and for changing the settings of the computer. It had 3 metal contacts on the side (NOT Buttons) and you had to bridge two contacts at a time with the Quarter to move from one screen to the next. Bridging the contacts with a wet finger let you edit the settings.

The computer was near indestructible and a single battery would last about 10 years. I had two of these and they were great for about 12 years until they finally died. One from a bad sensor, the other from a failed LCD.

The Quarter was dual purpose. It was for battery removal and for changing the settings of the computer. It had 3 metal contacts on the side (NOT Buttons) and you had to bridge two contacts at a time with the Quarter to move from one screen to the next. Bridging the contacts with a wet finger let you edit the settings.

The computer was near indestructible and a single battery would last about 10 years. I had two of these and they were great for about 12 years until they finally died. One from a bad sensor, the other from a failed LCD.

I had a Cochran Commander Air (bricked) and still have a EMC-20H (wife took it over when I went to a Shearwater for primary and back-up).....

Both of mine were the EMC-20H units I bought around 2007 for CCR use. Curiously they both died around the time the founder of the company passed away and the company folded, early 2019.

Both of mine were the EMC-20H units I bought around 2007 for CCR use. Curiously they both died around the time the founder of the company passed away and the company folded, early 2019.

Dead man's switch.

Hijack -

In around '93 I got the Commander Air as my first PDC. Used Navy tables and then the Wheel before that. It was one of the few computers that refused to lock you out, no matter how bad a decision you could try and make. It just kept spitting out a solution...

Great PDC! Typical clunky software and interface from the 80's-90's. Thing is, they never changed with the times. Military contract was their bread and butter, us recreational folks were not really of interest. That PDC bricked when it sat for an 8 year surface interval. They gave me an unbelievable trade-in/trade-up so I got the EMC-20H. Still the clunky interface, and horriffic sortware.... SW caught me in a weak moment with a Petrel, and the rest is history. Wife wanted it so she uses it....

Was sad to see that company go down....

Back to the thread...

The way to open the transmitter is not the destructive one (you risk damaging the threads in the cap which would only escalate the problem). It's better to drill two 180° opposite small holes in the cap and then use a spanner wrench to unscrew it. We have open many "condemned" caps in transmitters and some Suunto Mosquitos. In many cases, by using a manual vise and drilling by hand you can prevent going all the way through the plastic cap and get to reuse it. Of course, a waterproof test would be required to check that the weakened cap can still withstand the water pressure at depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom