Overtightened transmitter battery cap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Note: not my transmitter!

Got a frantic call from a friend several weeks back. HIS friend had to change the battery on his transmitter while on a dive boat somewhere in the Caribbean. He had been an idiot and way overtightened the battery cap the previous time battery was changed. Couldn’t get the battery cap open. Good thing he had a spg in his bag so he was still able to dive.

Anyway, when the boat gets back the guy takes his transmitter to the dive shop and asks for help. They took a screw driver to the battery cap and the photo shows the result. They were never able to open the battery cap.

Guy ends up sending it to Divetronix (I had to tell them to contact them). I’m told Divetronix sent out a loaner transmitter as the guy was going on another trip in two weeks. I wonder how long it took Divetronix to get the cap off.

45CFF0E2-81AB-4128-872C-BF30D883D993.jpeg

They start working on the items while they are in transit. At least that is my theory about how they are able to get my computer back to me so quickly. In one case I think he rebuilt in Teric in a couple of hours, based on the time difference between when he received it and when the USPS got the package for it to come home.

If it was overtightened to the point that it might have warped the o-ring and leaked, there's a chance that there is a tremendous amount of pressure behind that cap due to battery deterioration.

Happened to me when a camera strobe leaked. I struggled to get the battery cap off, and when it did, batteries went everywhere.

They start working on the items while they are in transit. At least that is my theory about how they are able to get my computer back to me so quickly. In one case I think he rebuilt in Teric in a couple of hours, based on the time difference between when he received it and when the USPS got the package for it to come home.

:rofl3:

Well, I'd doubt that they were going to be gentle with further attempts to repair it. I'd guess it is to the phase of destructive action to the cap, and regardless of that, it was needeing to be replaced if it still is working.... I'd bet they drill it for pins/spanner or take it out in pieces....

Shouldn't have used a screwdriver, the slot is rounded on the bottom.
When I went to change my battery for the first time the other day I had the same problem, I used a 5 cent coin but grabbed it with pliers to turn it.

There was a company out of Texas (Cochran) that sold a battery door removal tool for their computers (was actually on their web-store). It was a freaking quarter that they sold for something like $3-$5.00......

The best tool for removing the transmitter battery doors is this:
20210203_144413.jpg

Used it twice last week to change my transmitter batteries. Also used it to change the battery in my instant read thermometer.

I read somewhere that Shearwater had designed the Perdix (and earlier computers I assume) battery cap to be opened with a Canadian Loonie coin. There’s a blue token coin included with the computers that also works. I saved a Loonie from a visit to Ontario two years ago and have that in my save a dive kit. Works fine on the transmitter battery cap, too.

Yeah, they are useful. They make great ball markers on the green too. Truth be told, I prefer the "twoonie" over the "loonie"

Classier looking with the coin-within-a-coin look.

YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom