Overshooting NDL and mandatory deco stops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deco for Divers from Marc Powell will give you some understanding about what diving does with your body.

REMARK: In case the deepest stage is a Deep Stop, by pressing the right key you will see, always on the right top corner , the depth and duration of the first stage, not Deep Stop.

If I go into DECO, the decompression stops indicated by the computer are in addition to these DEEP STOP's, or rather, the DEEP STOP's get added to the decompression obligation. If I set the computer to have DEEP STOP's, then I will be doing the mandatory decompression stops and DEEP STOP's.
My understanding:
Deep stop is introduced regardless whether it is non-deco or deco dive.
1. The deepest deco stop could be the same as the deep stop. You can differentiate it : REMARK
2. Deep stop is NOT mandatory while deco is. So to avoid confusion, do not set the computer with deep stop in deco dive.
3. In your computer the deepest deco stop is 24m therefore any stop deeper than that is a deep stop.

So then the answer to your original question would be "do what your computer tells you to do", right?

Why would you want guesses from people online when your dive computer knows exactly what your N2 loading is..?

Ive never not paid attention to my air and time so ive never had it happen. Im very curious or was before this thread as to what would happen if i went say a few minutes past NDL limits. Im not about to just randomly test my computer to find out what happens id rather ask questions while breathing air :)

So you start a thread to help you understand what your computer will do and what you should do if you go into deco yet can not tell us your GF settings and have no interest in understanding them or your options to adjust them. Which will directly impact your dive time and NDLs.

Ok, I am going to be a good girl and sit this one out.

ok you are a totally confused girl and are sitting this one out got it. question though where am i asking how to understand my computer? thats really almost offensive as the computer tells you what to do. computers are self explanatory at least good ones are. my question was what happens if you go past NDL limits. my computer wont tell me that if im not doing it. Im guessing you may see the Catch-22 in your statement but maybe not as you didnt read my original post

by the way why would i even want to change my GF settings if im just diving recreationally? I trust shearwaters settings.

Fair enough. There are several videos on youtube showing what happens with the Perdix. If you go into the planner mode, you can also see the deco schedule for various dive parameters.

Often a few minutes of deco will clear while you are ascending anyway, especially if you are ascending at a good, slow rate. However, in an emergency you would possibly ascend faster than that rate and thus have some deco owing when you get to the surface. What happens then will be a factor of your physiology, the total gas loading, total ascent rate, and many other factors. You will likely be fine but you have a non-zero chance of keeling over dead on the spot.

I know which side of that risk equation I prefer to stay.

Fair enough. There are several videos on youtube showing what happens with the Perdix. If you go into the planner mode, you can also see the deco schedule for various dive parameters.

Often a few minutes of deco will clear while you are ascending anyway, especially if you are ascending at a good, slow rate. However, in an emergency you would possibly ascend faster than that rate and thus have some deco owing when you get to the surface. What happens then will be a factor of your physiology, the total gas loading, total ascent rate, and many other factors. You will likely be fine but you have a non-zero chance of keeling over dead on the spot.

I know which side of that risk equation I prefer to stay.

not being snarky or offensive. But I read your entire post and dont know what you are trying to say.

If he is going to buy a $1000 dive computer, I'd think he would at least R the FM. And find out -- even in recreational mode -- it has the choices of low, medium, or high conservatism.

why? I almost die with cheap rental equipment during OW training. faulty regs, wetsuits with bacteria etc. I want the best equipment. Just because it is a grand versus half that i should now be taking advanced calculus to dive normal open water dives? i bought a cheap junk suunto zoop novo and it is a pita and impossible to navigate. the perdix has the best interface of all dive computers. id rather be able to work an expensive computer than not work a junky cheap computer.

and as for conservative vs what....DANGEROUS GFs....... whats the difference if im diving recreationally and my dives are all around 40 to 80 feet???? seriously..... are you saying my shearwater is dangerous? it puts me at risk?

serious question

He has the nerve to ask the default setting of his own computer!
I do not have a Perdix but I am pretty sure the manual will explain everything that the owner ought to know. In this case what happen when exceeding ndl.

Where did I ask the default setting of my own computer? before throwing allegations please back that up with facts. You are saying something that is not true.

Heck if you don’t want to read the computer there are YouTube videos on how to use the Perdix. No excuses to not know.

if you are referring to me the O.P. I do have a Perdix A.I. and I know how to use it. where was I asking how to use my computer? please show me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom