Overshooting NDL and mandatory deco stops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not talking about self-reporting the way it seems that you're thinking about.

For regulated diving activity, like commercial diving or military diving, it's fairly easy to impose a regime where every dive is logged, with depth, bottom time and DCI status. Our commercial diving industry is, as far as I know and can make out from the quote I gave upthread, obliged to keep proper records. That's a consequence of the wild and hazardous practices they had during the early stages of the oil boom here, leading to a number of injuries and fatalities which would be completely unacceptable today.

So, not "self-reporting", but proper logs of every dive. And again, I'd be surprised if the USN doesn't keep logs like that.
Whilst the U.K. has similar commercial requirements. The information is unlikely to be published in the Public domain as its commercially sensitive, only the regulatory authorities would have access.

The notation that recreational divers keep this information doesn’t stand up, most of those I dive will no longer maintain a log.

The information is unlikely to be published in the Public domain as its commercially sensitive, only the regulatory authorities would have access.
Of course. But it might be made accessible for professional medical purposes, as was the case up here.

If we look across the pond it seems reasonable to me that NEDU could be given access to any dive logs held by the USN, for a similar analysis. But then I'm a naïve European...

If we look across the pond it seems reasonable to me that NEDU could be given access to any dive logs held by the USN, for a similar analysis. But then I'm a naïve European...

Decompression tables and dive-outcome data: graphical analysis. - PubMed - NCBI

The full text can be googled, i decided to link to pubmed for easier access.
They have studied such databases.
Now what we would need is similar analyzis of recreational profiles.

The symptoms are what are self reported, not the dives themselves. They are paid very well and if reporting niggles and symptoms threatens their income flow then there may be a motive to not report.

Truck drivers keep logs as well and are required to adhere to specific rules regarding rest. Before gps tracking, truckers protected their income stream by cheating on their logs. How accurate are the commercial divers in reporting symptoms? My only experience with commercial divers are friends that dive for catch not for construction.

Finally finished the entire thread. Scintillating reading for a 64 year old recently getting back into diving. Everyone on board is younger than me, although some not in quite the cardio condition I maintain myself. One thing I remember being mentioned when I took my YMCA OW "back in the day", was to remember that the USN tables with their inherent DCS risk are based on acceptable risk in a young, fit population, WITH a hyperbaric chamber on-board.

Since many of the recreational computers use proprietary algorithms, good luck with that.
I agree and that is the problem. You can not wear two different computers and have one sat ndl is 12 min and the other say 8 min. and have so much as a clue which one is right. In that case neither one is a useful tool.

Scintillating reading for a 64 year old recently getting back into diving. Everyone on board is younger than me, although some not in quite the cardio condition I maintain myself.

Not even close.

Back
Top Bottom