Overseas Diving and SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsquaredFL

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are certified through SSI and she just got her specialty diver and hopes to have her advanced open water done by the end of May.

We were talking to her aunt who went diving in Cozumel with another agency and when she got to the dive shop she was told they don't accept her agency and had to dive with a dive master. Now this at first seemed like a money ploy on a vacationer to me, but I was just wondering, how widely accepted is SSI overseas? Particularly in regards to Mexico, Belize, the Caribbean and Hawaii? What are the chances we run into this?

It seems that PADI is the most well known and I've noticed something interesting. SSI shops predominantly have Scuba Pro and Oceanic gear while at most PADI and NAUI shops they carry everything except Scuba Pro. Any reason for this or am I just crazy?

I know its a lot of questions, thanks for any help

I have seen one ssi diver and one Y diver refused at padi shops, out of thousands. Usually it's the mistake of a brand new employee at the dive shop. One diver was told on Oahu that they're a padi op and only accept padi divers. When they got home from vacation I called the shop in question and they were very upset to hear that one of their idiots turned away a customer.

My wife and I are certified through SSI and she just got her specialty diver and hopes to have her advanced open water done by the end of May.

We were talking to her aunt who went diving in Cozumel with another agency and when she got to the dive shop she was told they don't accept her agency and had to dive with a dive master. Now this at first seemed like a money ploy on a vacationer to me, but I was just wondering, how widely accepted is SSI overseas? Particularly in regards to Mexico, Belize, the Caribbean and Hawaii? What are the chances we run into this?

As far as I know, SSI is accepted everywhere, except for some dive operators in France that only accept CMAS

I can tell you that I've personally verified that SSI is accepted in all the places you mentioned. :cool:

Terry

Sounds great, thanks for the heads up.

Any ideas on the SSI/Scuba Pro vs PADI/ all other manufacturers thing? (if that makes any sense at all.

Can't speak for elsewhere but I personally know of two PADI shops that do carry ScubaPro.

Any ideas on the SSI/Scuba Pro vs PADI/ all other manufacturers thing? (if that makes any sense at all.

Us vs them. We're great, they suck.

Think that covers it.

HAHA, OK then. Guess it was just the luck of the draw on the shops I visited not carrying scuba pro.

Thanks for all the help.

Some manufacturers, SP for example, offer franchises to dealers. So, with two shops in the same general vicinity, one or the other will likely have the right to sell one brand, while the other will not.

There is nothing to prevent PADI from obtaining the franchise for SP, unless another shop already has it in the bag.

Sounds great, thanks for the heads up.

I teach in an SSI shop and we carry Zeagle and Mares

Ahava, any trouble with SSI certificated divers in any areas? I am PADI certified, but after years without divibg planning to retake courses. In my area there are many known SSI but only one PADI...

Back
Top Bottom