Overnight camping trip from Caye Caulker to Blue Hole-Turneffe-Lighthouse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annlaur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all
so I'm in the midst of planning the Belizean part of my december trip, and wanted to know if anyone had done the overnight camping trip to Blue Hole-Lighthouse-Turneffe that Frenchies Diving offers. Link HERE
I have sent them an e.mail to see if they had a trip planned that would fit my schedule. Any feedback/info welcome.

Hi again,
well I got an e.mail back from Frenchies Diving, and as of today they don't have a diving/camping trip planned during my stay (they do have one on Dec 28th, but my plane is leaving out of Cancun that day). They need a minimum of 4 divers to plan one.
Anyone interested in doing it sometime between Dec. 15th-20th ?

It's a 6-dives overnight trip, with the night spent camping on a small caye :

FIRST DAY (Lighthouse Reef)
Dive 1: The Blue Hole
Dive 2: Half Moon Caye Wall
Dive 3: The Aquarium at Long Caye Wall

Overnight camping at Half Moon Caye. Onsite showers and bathrooms available.
Special dinner: BBQ under the stars with reggae music!!! BYOB.

SECOND DAY (Lighthouse Reef and Turneffe Islands)
Dive 1: Black Forest (multilevel: 70ft/21m & 60ft/18m. Untouched, pristine, dense, colorful, coral wall 4000-6000ft/1200-1800m. No other dive shops visit this site).
Dive 2: The Abyss (multilevel: 60ft/18m & 50ft/15m. Untouched, pristine, dense, colorful, coral wall 4000-6000ft/1200-1800m. No other dive shops visit this site).
Dive 3: Black Coral Wall at Turneffe Atoll

Total cost including park fees, equipment, food, camping gear… is USD500 per diver. Which is a good deal considering a 3 dive trip from Caye Caulker or Ambergris to the Blue Hole costs USD250 in most dive ops. For those considering doing both the trips to the Hole and Turneffe, it would save travelling time and some money. And apparently allow for quieter dives, as they don't get the sites at the same time as all the day-trippers. Anyone interested let me know.
And if you have done it, thank you for the feedback.

I don't know if they're offering or planning a trip, but you could also try these operators on Ambergris Caye - Amigos del Mar, AquaDives & Ramon's. They have all done such trips in the past. Also perhaps Ecologic Divers - it's under new management, and the new owners are bringing in extra boats that can/will be used for such trips. Probably a bit soon for them though. You'll find all of these by using Google, but if you want contact info just post back here.

Thank you ! I'll check them out.

That would be one sweet camping trip.

I've been to Half Moon Caye twice, when I stayed for two weeks at Turneffe Island Lodge summer before last, and did four of the six dives on the itinerary. The water there is like something out of a movie. You'll feel like you're in the middle of nowhere--because you are!

Hope it works out for you.

Thank you for the answers.
I haven't contacted the mentionned dive ops yet (no mention of an overnight trip on their websites) because work has been crazy, plus a friend who was supposed to meet me in Mexico for part of my travel is changing her plans… so now I'm not even sure when or if I'll be able to make it to Caye Caulker. But it's definitely a trip I'd like to do, either this time or on a next journey. I'll keep you posted when I find more info, as it might help others.

Hi annlaur - new to the board and registered specifically to respond to your inquiry. I will be there around the 19th / 20th and would definitely be looking to do the multi day camping trip. Not sure how the board works - can you privately message me so that I can pass on email details?

thanks

Hi annlaur - new to the board and registered specifically to respond to your inquiry. I will be there around the 19th / 20th and would definitely be looking to do the multi day camping trip. Not sure how the board works - can you privately message me so that I can pass on email details?

thanks

me too! i am looking for such an overnight trip also. my boyfriend and i will be arriving on the 20th. any chance we can do a 21st/22nd trip or will you be gone by then?

Hi Lucas and Mo!
Welcome on board.

I was planning on leaving Caye Caulker (if going there at all… wish I could stretch time and my bank account to do it all) on the 21st at the latest in order to meet up with my friends in Mexico.

Anyways, any chance you guys can do it on the 19th with a return on the 20th ? That would work for me.
Also, what is your experience level ? I'm a fairly new diver, 45 dives as of today and will have spent a week in Cozumel prior to going to Belize. Don't want to limit more experienced people in their diving nor to push my limits (I'll probably skip the Blue Hole, the other dives and the camping is what gets me).

PS : We can keep in touch thru this thread or by private message, I've been having trouble with my yahoo mailbox lately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom