Overkill or not 3 piece suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So it's going to be 7/10/7 vs 7/13/10/7 pretty funny if you ask me.... Warmer dives might be the 7/10/7 with the colder ones becomming the 7/13/10/7.

Head/torso/extremeties vs Head/torso/groin/extremeties....

MG

Hi Mike, I have the exact wetsuit setup and haven't gotten that cold at all so I think you'll do fine. I sure love to get a drysuit though but unfortunately I don't have $2,000 to spare so wetsuit is good enough for me.

Hi Mike, I have the exact wetsuit setup and haven't gotten that cold at all so I think you'll do fine. I sure love to get a drysuit though but unfortunately I don't have $2,000 to spare so wetsuit is good enough for me.

Hi Roy,

Do you have the 3 piece set; hooded vest, jumpsuit, plus heated torso or the 2 piece hooded vest and jumpsuit only?

You didn't say? The consensus is saying dive with all three in these water, the warmth in layering is worth the extra in buoyancy. Pinnacles Elastiprene is not like your over the counter bulk neoprene that you see at the rental shops.

This feels and stretches really nice to fully engulf my body, I can hardly wait to put it to the test.

I could have gotten the Polar or the Extreme from Pinnacles but the I tried on the Polar and literally fought for about 15 minutes before it would go on, then I got cloustophopic.

Thats when I tried on the M-E 7 and that came on and off in 1 minute, big selling point for me, since I felt very comfortable.

I've read a lot of reviews about the extreme being very hard to move around in but giving you the best in warmth. I like to move around in the water and not be so stiff, I guess I will just see on Saturday.

MG

mikeguerrero,

The defacto standard for cold water wet diving is 7mm all over with a 2nd 7mm on the groin and torso. Some use more, some use less but the 7mm John & Jacket with bibbed hood is ubiquitous. What you describe adds up to a little less than that so there's nothing excessive about the total thicknesses for cold water diving. The Merino wool is supposed to add some kick so you are probably on par or better off than many. Donning 3 layers seems a little odd but if it works what the heck.

If you get added use from the items as you scale back for warmer waters that's a win-win.

Pete

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the late responds.

What I have is a lycra skinsuit and socks, pinnacle's merino vest with a 5mm hood sewed on the vest, and the 7mm jumpsuit itself.

Royston

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom