Overhead environments and open water scuba divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps that is the definitions we need to use.. Blind Trust Me dives or Trust me dives.

Jim, I think one of the ways we can reach them is by setting a good example. By asking questions that others might be too reluctant to ask. In many cases I ask questions for the other people diving with us when we are on our dive trips. If we talk to the other divers in a friendly way and find out their experience level we can teach them to ask the questions by asking the questions for them. When they see and hear experienced divers asking questions, questioning the DM or dive plan.. it shows them that it may not be appropriate to quietly listen to the dive brief and blindly follow the dive leader into the ocean! We can pass the message about Scuba Board and other forums. We need to be ambassadors for the well informed diving community!

I remember a dive where our group refused to enter the water at the dive site the Boat operator wanted us to dive. It was a washing machine, the (I would choke if I called him captain) boat operator had no idea about diving. There were some inexperienced divers on board who thanked us later for that refusal.. but non of them said a word on the boat. I hope they learned from it that they can and should say NO when appropriate!. We wound up diving a less interesting but much safer and protected site.

A Cavern course will train you for overhead and make you a much better diver period. Heres a good example of how innocent exploration can go south in a hurry. You tube Rescue 911 episode 202 , parts 1 and 2. Take a damn cavern course please!

I have just searched every dive shop I could find in our area and as far as 8 hours drive from here. Not one of those shops offers a Cave or Cavern Diving Course. The two Dive shops that regularly take divers out to Fishrock Cave don't offer Cave or Cavern Courses either. If I wanted to take a Cave or Cavern Course the closest place that I know of where I could is in the next State and a 12 plus hour drive from here. With the exception of Fishrock and Looking Glass at Broughton Island there are no caves or caverns that I know of to dive in this state. I certainly can't justify the expense of the course, accommodation, travel and other expenses to take the course to dive these very low risk sites. In some locations it is just not possible or practical to take Cave or Cavern Courses.

I would rather apply Lynn's well thought out suggestions to determine if a given overhead environment is appropriate for me to enter.

I think the idea of caving or wreck penetration is a cool idea but I also l know that at my current experience level I would not even consider doing either. We look at it like this, if we don't feel comfortable for either me or my wife to do something then we don't do it. Common sense should prevail in situations such as what Lynne posted but there are those that seem to have their common sense meter all mixed up.

Cavern training is very common here but its Florida. I wouldnt justify a big expense for something I didnt do either.

When I was in Florida last year I couldn't get over the number of dive shops! Only place I've ever been where I saw more dive shops than McDonalds:doh: I enjoyed the diving but really had no interest in doing any of the caves. As for wreck penetration, well I am happy looking from the outside. I'm more interested in fish than wrecks. I've done a few but not in the slightest tempted to go inside. If there is a chance of entanglement or gettting trapped/lost I will stay clear.

LowDrag you are right about common sense altho I have been told "What is Common Sense to one isn't to another!" Even common sense requires some knowledge. I am more inclined to say fools rush in.. and fools can be very creative.. just check out the Darwin Awards:shakehead:

When I was in Florida last year I couldn't get over the number of dive shops! Only place I've ever been where I saw more dive shops than McDonalds:doh: I enjoyed the diving but really had no interest in doing any of the caves. As for wreck penetration, well I am happy looking from the outside. I'm more interested in fish than wrecks. I've done a few but not in the slightest tempted to go inside. If there is a chance of entanglement or gettting trapped/lost I will stay clear.

LowDrag you are right about common sense altho I have been told "What is Common Sense to one isn't to another!" Even common sense requires some knowledge. I am more inclined to say fools rush in.. and fools can be very creative.. just check out the Darwin Awards:shakehead:

No doubt right?!?!?!? :rofl3: Common sense does require one to know a little something on the subject at hand.

I certainly can't justify the expense of the course, accommodation, travel and other expenses to take the course to dive these very low risk sites.

That's just what was said about the site that killed those four Italian divers.... just saying...

In some locations it is just not possible or practical to take Cave or Cavern Courses.

If it ain't worth the effort to travel for training, then the dive itself just isn't worth the effort.

Convenience isn't a factor that should be included in risk assessments.

Does anyone have a link to the info on this event that people keep referring to? I am not sure if we are comparing apples to oranges here:idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom