Overhead environments and open water scuba divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
This thread is prompted by a number of accidents, but the most recent was yesterday, when four people died in a sea cave in Italy, because they followed a guide into an environment where they didn't have the training to cope with the complications that ensued.

This is not a diatribe about "don't dive in any overhead environments without appropriate training." That's an easy answer, but it isn't the reality of what people actually DO out there. LOTS of OW divers dive, or are led through sanitized wrecks or "benign" overhead environments like the Cathedrals off Lanai. One really doesn't hear about incidents from those dives, and that's probably due to the relatively benign nature of the challenge. Thousands of divers do the cenote dives in MX each year, and except for a single recent accident, one doesn't hear about incidents there, either. That's probably due to the careful (but voluntary) rules that have been developed for those dives.

But one DOES hear of people dying in overhead environments. People get trapped in wrecks or lost in caves . . . All too often, those people are following guides. So how is the OW (or just purely recreationally trained diver) to assess whether he should or should not do a given dive that's proposed to him?

The BIGGEST risk in overhead diving is getting lost. If you can find the exit, you will almost certainly survive the dive -- but if you can't, you will drown. Overheads are complicated for two reasons: One, there can be complex navigation, with multiple choices of path, of which only one or a few will result in a successful exit. Two, one has to be able to see to navigate, and overhead environments often involve conditions in which the visibility can rapidly decrease to low or zero.

So this offers a few ideas for assessing the risk of a proposed dive. If the overhead environment has complex ramifications (multiple navigations choices) you don't belong in there. That requires a guideline, and the ability to follow the guideline in the dark. If you can't do that, don't go in.

If the overhead environment has significant silt or other unstable sediment (or material on the walls or ceiling -- you don't have to have bottom sediments to blow the viz) then you require a guideline, and the ability to follow it in the dark. If you can't do that, you don't belong in there.

If the overhead environment involves ANY kind of restriction -- defining that as a place where two divers can't swim comfortably side-by-side -- you don't belong in there. If you have any problem beyond the tight spot, you won't be able to negotiate your exit with anybody assisting you, whether that's air-sharing or just calming you down. The only overhead spots appropriate for untrained divers are generous ones.

A place like the Cathedrals, where there are multiple exits, with a coarse sand bottom and tons of light, is pretty benign. "Sanitized" wrecks, like the Cape Breton in Nanaimo, are reasonably benign (yeah, the CB is not because it's deep, but it's the idea). If you can easily see your exit from your entry, straight across, it's likely not to be too bad.

If you are following someone into the dark, and you don't know what the topography is of where you are going, and you don't know the composition of the bottom sediments, and you can't run a guideline or follow one blind . . . be very cautious about your decisions to follow someone into an overhead environment. They can, and do, kill.

Thanks for a sensible set of criteria to consider. I am not certified for overhead and don't see myself going there either. I Like having a good set of criteria to help measure whether or not a given site is for me. Interesting that the few caves caves I have entered meet all of your criteria except one cave and one of the criteria.

Fishrock cave has a short (2M) chimney where two divers can not be side by side. No way you could get stuck in it but they are careful of what divers go through that section. It opens up very wide once you are through it. You can also exit the cave without going back through the chimney.

Might I suggest another criteria would be related to an honest assessment of a diver's comfort in the water and their dive skills. I would suggest that the average recreational diver with less than 150 or so dives is not likely to be ready for an overhead environment. If you are not comfortable that you ned someone else to "help" you conduct the dive.. you are not ready for it! Just my .02

Amazingly, I have been led by two different instructors in totally dark overhead environments (Deep wrecks) in the keys in recent years. If the intrustion was part of a detailed dive plan, I may have acquiesced and violated long established training protocols anyway. Instead, I was fairly upset that the instructors needlessly stressed me out. I would venture to guess that most OW guide led excurstions are not mentioned in the dive plan...

Thanks for the very reasonable open minded assessment concearning OW divers in overhead situations. This thread is bound to go downhill fast, but I for one appreciate this well thought out logical approach to the subject.

Amazingly, I have been led by two different instructors in totally dark overhead environments (Deep wrecks) in the keys in recent years. If the intrustion was part of a detailed dive plan, I may have acquiesced and violated long established training protocols anyway. Instead, I was fairly upset that the instructors needlessly stressed me out. I would venture to guess that most OW guide led excurstions are not mentioned in the dive plan...

I think this is true in a number of cases. My wife will not go into any overhead environment, even an open walkway on a prepared wreck. There have been numerous times when we have been on "lead dives" where the guide has gone into a swim through or the like that was not in the briefing. Everyone else follows, we either end up following bubble trails through the cracks over top, or we head off on our own. If the overhead is discussed during the briefing, she lets them know what her plans will be.

Even as new divers, we trusted our intuitions and training and either sat out dives or "modified" the plan if confronted with decisions we were not comfortable with.

I will stretch my limits, but only other divers that I know and am comfortable with.

Bill

(oh yes....great topic TSandM!)

The Open Water ( OW ) diver must use caution when choosing a guide. Meeting someone on a street corner, then following them blindly into a cenote may cost them their life.

This senario happened to one of our divers years ago. She was meant to dive with our Instructor in Cozumel. She chose to go with the guy off the street.

She had just finished her advanced open cert. She was close friends with Sheck Exley. She knew about the dangers of cave diving. She knew she was not qualified.

Why did she go into the cave?

Six divers went in, only three came out.

She was not one of them!

It is a great topic, Lynne. This may get a little awkward on my part. Yes, you are correct, untrained divers going into overhead environments seems to be the norm. But why is this? Most anyone who has head overhead environment training, especially cave divers, should be familiar with Shek Exley's book, "Blueprint for Survival". Based off of research & observations to cave diving accidents & incidents, he created the "5 rules of safe cave diving".
#1 getting the proper training for the dive to be undertaken (whether overhead or Open water). It is well documented that untrained divers or divers diving beyond their training & experience accounts for a large portion of accidents that occur.
#2 is, as you mentioned knowing how to run & use a guideline to find the exit. (once again back to training). A guideline may be your best friend for finding the exit or your worst enemy- entanglement.
#3 Air or gas management. To know how to properly plan gases to get out (once again valid in either open water or overhead), even in the event of an emergency that may slow egress or require air sharing. To learn to properly manage the gases, requires training. Not planning enough gas to get out, may lead to a very bad day.
#4 Depth. Keeping depth to within training & experience levels. You need to have a clear head to deal with possible complications. In an overhead environment, problems are multiplied.
#5 Lights. Making sure you have ample light supplies to help make a possibly difficult egress a bit easier.

For the most part, most of the rules fall back on training, being aware, knowing how to read the environment & preparing for the "what if's". How many divers going on these "trust me" dives really consider what "may" happen? When I went into Vortex as an untrained diver, I certainly didn't. I only thought about, "wow,... I really want to see what's in there". It nearly cost me dearly. Until I pursued my training in cavern- Full cave, I really had no clue as to what the risks really were. Simply put, you don't know, what you don't know. Sure, I had some idea of a few of the risks, but until my incident & the training, it was really only an abstract, not really real. How many of these divers going into an overhead, believe that their own skills &/or their guide will keep them safe. A lot of guides, though they may be good at what they do, are not cave/ wreck/ Overhead environment instructors. Cave/ Wreck (wreck penetration)/ overhead instructors at least have the training how to handle problems & divers who are new to the overhead environment, to have the best possible outcome in an emergency. I have heard of experienced wreck divers going into a simple wreck where ambient light is easily seen, to only have another divers actions (panic, badly placed fin, buoyancy issues or such) wipe out all visibility & light until the experienced diver was outside of the wreck, using the emergency techniques he was trained in. Even the most benign & sanitized overheads may still have risks that may be even less obvious than more advanced dive sites. Just because it looks safe, does not mean that it is. Since my incident & training, I look at ANY overhead differently,... even going through a van in my local quarry (no more than 10 ft). Even though I can swim through it in seconds, I still take a moment before going in to assess the risks I'm undertaking, even as minor as that.

Let's face it,... How much resources does it take to at least get minimal training (cavern or wreck)? Most of these courses run maybe a couple hundred $ & take about a day or so to complete. Well within the means of many, but many do not take them because they figure they won't ever use it. Yet will go through these swim throughs, wrecks or caverns with or without a guide, mostly oblivious to what might happen. 99.9999....% of the time nothing happens. It's that .0000000...1% that should give most of us cause to reassess the dive we are about to undertake. If nothing else, a well run overhead environment course may help a diver to better see the risks, as major or minimal as they may be, & to assess whether the dive is worth the risk.

If a diver should still decide to go into an overhead environment without training, then they should also go in without a light, so as to limit their penetrations to distances that can easily be retraced to exit.

OK, off my soap box now. Based off my personal experience & now being able to see both trains of thought, I just thought I would throw in my $.02, for what it is worth.

I totally agree, Tammy . . . People don't know what the risks ARE, and I'm sure these folks who died in Italy never thought about what would happen if they couldn't see, if they even knew that was possible.

As I said in the original post, the easy answer is "no overhead environments without training". But that isn't what happens, out there in the real world. People go dive the Cathedrals, or do swim-throughs in Cozumel. I swam through the bow portion of the Rhone as an OW diver, and I'd have a hard time telling someone that that's a completely unsafe thing to do, although if somebody panicked in there and tried to bolt, they'd be in a world of hurt.

I think some environments are more benign than others -- multiple exits, coarse sediments, lots of ambient light, minimal distance of penetration. Your idea about not carrying lights isn't a bad one, since all of the "benign" places I can think that I've been were easily dived without a light.

Interesting topic.

At this point in my diving I have decided to simply not go into any overhead situation. As a beginner I did a number of swim throughs and sanitized wrecks following guides. Never totally comfortable, and in retrospect some were dives that were not a good idea. Now I pass on any portion of a dive that involves overhead. Most, from my perspective, are just dives that engage the customers sense of "doing something dangerous" rather than there being something interesting to see. I don't need the added spice of danger to enjoy a dive. If there was something truly unique about a particular location I might reconsider, but so far I have not found one.

I really appreciate and agree with TSandM's post, and will share it with out next crop of new divers (big certification classes next weekend. Ditto for AOW students. A person needs to know their limitations. That includes DM's and dive leaders. I want to share that Debbie and I do some overhead environment dives, but as short swim throughs or wrecks with openings as large as a garage door ( Hilma Hooker, Carpathian, etc.) These are recreational dives appropriate to competent and experienced recreational divers, but heightened awareness and caution is still needed. We leave cave diving and wreck penetration to those skilled and trained for that kind of diving.
DIvemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom