Overfilling lp steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tegg:
That's odd, I guess tanks above the mason dixon line react differently to overfilling? :06:

I say if you're the one diving tanks, then YOU are the one responsible for making sure that the tanks are at the pressure you want prior to your leaving a shop.

Personally I do not patron a shop that will not fill to my "suggested" pressure. Then again, that is my right as a customer and the Shop's right as a place of business to deny said request.

As far as the original question by the topic poster, you would have to get an engineer to explain to you the actual amount of stress put on the tank by overfilling to whatever pressure you desire. If you are willing to take the risk by overfilling and you can find a dive shop to do it for you, then it is up to you.

Kind of like solo diving... If you don't think it is smart, then don't do it. Simple.
if you have a facility that will fill to your suggested pressure and it is way above the rated pressure thats fine,but they are leaving themselves to a suit if something happens because it is not considered a standard of pratice.The person that works for the store who will most likely either be maimed or killed will be the most likely victim.If someone asked me to do overfill a 2400 psi tank to 3500 I would have to politely say no and if that is a problem go elsewhere.I will not risk any harm for a air fill that is dangerous to myself or the user.As I have said a couple of hundred psi no big deal but to push it 600/1000 psi above rated pressure no can do..

I have found some shops that will fill LP 2400's to 3000 or 3500psi and I feel lucky for reasons mentioned by oly5050user liability on the shops part is the issue.

locol hole I usually fill from 2640 to 3000 florida 3600, I'll be pumping my own tanks soon and most likely will run them at 3300 for the majority of fills. I get pissed when I show up to the water hole with a low fill but I can't fault the dive shops for not giving me my asking pressure, but when its below 2640... I get very upset.

FIXXERVI6:
but when its below 2640... I get very upset.

How could it be? Even they didn't overfill 10%? My HP tanks are always a short fill though....

hoosier:
How could it be? Even they didn't overfill 10%? My HP tanks are always a short fill though....

Hot fills, more than once I've hit the water hole, started to assemble my gear and flipped the pressure gauge over to read less than 2640, I'll be taking care of this soon however since there is a project compressor sitting in my garage now capable of 5,000 psi (not that I'm going to fill to 5,000). I watched one shop fill an E8 130 in under a minute, yes under a minute the tank was so hot you could barely touch it, it cooled to about 2500 PSI, wasn't my tank or I would have been raising hell.

On that thought I was at another location, same tank, guy shot it super hot handed it back and said "thats gonna drop about 500 psi when it cools" then he left again not my tank or I would have probably been tempted to beat him with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom