Overfilling lp steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c555

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How much extra stress does it put on a lp faber by overfilling it to say 3000 psi. Some people said they are rated to 4000 in europe, but how many years do they last at this pressure? Any thing would be very usefull. Thanks

In europe the standard steel tanks (the ones with the + rating) are rated to 3400psi (232 bar).

There are also tanks rated to 4400psi (300 bar) but they're made much heavier than the standard steel tanks.

Also, just because something is a Faber doesn't mean it's made to the same specifications in every country. Take a look on the their website (something like www.divefaber.com) and you'll see that they make tanks to a lot of different specifications.

R..

Overfilling steels is routine in cave country, and to my knowledge no one's blown themselves up - yet.
Personally I don't like the practice, but I must admit that I've gotten my old (manufactured in '65 and '71 respectively) steel 72's (rated at 2250 psi) back from fill stations with a good solid 3000 psi in 'em more times than I can count, and they're still passing hydro.
As for the LP Fabers, I fill mine to 3000 and let 'em cool... to 2640 exactly :) In cave country I see the same tanks routinely filled to 3300 - 3500 psi cold, but again, I don't recommend that.
Rick

Recently at a Dive Show I was talking with a Dive shop owner (not from my area) who indicated he routinely fills his LP's to 3500 and they have passed at least a couple of hydro cycles.

I used to fill mine to 3500 until I started double-ing them up. Now I only go to 3000 (cold) as I don't need that much gas on a dive. (mine have only gone through one hydro since new so far)

I had a guy come into the shop a couple of weeks ago and asked me about overfilling his Faber LP steel tank. I said i'd fill it 3000. His response was something to the effect of "Man, that's not good. The shop i usually get it filled at takes it to 4500." Did i mention the tank was out of Hydro by about 9 months?

Kray_Z:
man, an overfill to 3k? small tank

Pressure has nothing to do with size...It could be a 4 cu.ft. tank with a pressure of 6,000psi or an 120 cu.ft. tank with a pressure of 2250psi...or the other way around

I have seen quite a few steel tanks fail hydro-1st hydro cycle-because of overfilling..I do not do it and recommend against it..200/300 psi is not what I am refering to either.Its the ones that people want 1000 psi more than the rated pressure.

most gauges aren't calibrated regularly so what reads 2800 on yours my read 2600 on mine. I'll fudge but not stomp heck out of the tank ratings.

I had a couple of tanks down in cave country and dropped them off for fills. Got ready to pick them up and they tried to charge me for 2 burst disc. According the the fill guy, mine ruptured at 3200. (they were rated at 2400) After a bit of heated discussion I got new burst disc for free.

oly5050user:
I have seen quite a few steel tanks fail hydro-1st hydro cycle-because of overfilling..I do not do it and recommend against it..200/300 psi is not what I am refering to either.Its the ones that people want 1000 psi more than the rated pressure.

That's odd, I guess tanks above the mason dixon line react differently to overfilling? :06:

I say if you're the one diving tanks, then YOU are the one responsible for making sure that the tanks are at the pressure you want prior to your leaving a shop.

Personally I do not patron a shop that will not fill to my "suggested" pressure. Then again, that is my right as a customer and the Shop's right as a place of business to deny said request.

As far as the original question by the topic poster, you would have to get an engineer to explain to you the actual amount of stress put on the tank by overfilling to whatever pressure you desire. If you are willing to take the risk by overfilling and you can find a dive shop to do it for you, then it is up to you.

Kind of like solo diving... If you don't think it is smart, then don't do it. Simple.

Back
Top Bottom