Overdue hydros?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KLRico

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to this board. I live in Germany right now (US Air Force). I used to live in So. California and did quite a bit of diving there. Unfortunately I haven't been able to dive for a year and a half. Meanwhile my tanks are coming due for their Hydros.

Is it ok for tanks to go over their hydrostatic dates provided it's done before they're filled to service pressure again? (They've been stored with about 500 PSI since I've moved.)

Thanks in advance,
Rico

Yes. The hydro date is a reminder to get them tested. It is not like a "best before" date on a pack of cheese :D

They will have to be hydro tested before they are filled again. In fact, it is illegal for a shop to fill them when they are out of hydro. I'm pretty sure that they will be fine.

KLRico:
Hey everyone, I'm new to this board. I live in Germany right now (US Air Force). I used to live in So. California and did quite a bit of diving there. Unfortunately I haven't been able to dive for a year and a half. Meanwhile my tanks are coming due for their Hydros.

Is it ok for tanks to go over their hydrostatic dates provided it's done before they're filled to service pressure again? (They've been stored with about 500 PSI since I've moved.)

Thanks in advance,
Rico

If you are asking if it is legal the answer is yes as long as you don't transport them commercially. If you are asking if it is safe to store 500 psi in a tank that gets hydroed to 10 times that much, I would persoanlly 'live on the edge' and not worry about it. Unless the tank is full of salt water it will probably be in the same condition at it's next hydro that it is now.
The only law governing hydro dates is DOT and as long as they stay in your garage they have no juristiction. Just get them tested before you try to fill them.

Ontario Diver:
Yes. The hydro date is a reminder to get them tested. It is not like a "best before" date on a pack of cheese :D

They will have to be hydro tested before they are filled again. In fact, it is illegal for a shop to fill them when they are out of hydro. I'm pretty sure that they will be fine.

What law prevents a shop from filling them?

Both TDG regulations (Canada) and DOT regs (US)

Actually, I guess the law doen't "prevent" the filling of tanks that are out of hydro, just prohibits and then assesses penalties if you do and get caught.

That's all cool then. I wasn't too sure if they became considered dangerous if the date passes. Maybe someone would have thought that I was filling them illegally and wouln't want to mess with them.

Thanks for the quick replies. Now it's on to the Europe threads, I'm dying to go diving again!

Ontario Diver:
Both TDG regulations (Canada) and DOT regs (US)

Actually, I guess the law doen't "prevent" the filling of tanks that are out of hydro, just prohibits and then assesses penalties if you do and get caught.

My understanding is those laws only prevent the transport of out of hydro tanks. What you do in your own shop is not regulated by DOT

Don't know the DOT as well as I know TDG. TDG covers any container that is "transportable" not just used in transport. The last time my shop was audited, TC checked the air pressure and Hydro date of every cylinder in the place.

KLRico:
That's all cool then. I wasn't too sure if they became considered dangerous if the date passes. Maybe someone would have thought that I was filling them illegally and wouln't want to mess with them.

Thanks for the quick replies. Now it's on to the Europe threads, I'm dying to go diving again!

Please be aware. I quoted the rules for north america!... German tanks don't have the right markings to be used in Canada. I don't know if Germany accepts DOT markings!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom