Over the head donning of BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were taught over the head donning in PADI Rescue, as one of the fastest methods of gearing for rapid response. It is fast and it does place gear right where it needs to be.

In the class, though the Course Director takes at least one opportunity to pretend to get seriously struck in the head by one of his students during this procedure, to reinforce the extreme caution required if this method of donning is attempted around other people. It is definitely NOT intended for or safe for use on board a crowded boat!

I find it very much my favorite method of donning gear when shore diving, when I can't use a truck tail gate, a picnic table etc. It has it's uses, it has it's limitations, and it is certainly a skill you master and then use well away from other people!!!

Agreeing with gypsyjim it can be a fast and safe method of donning equipment but only when there is space and on a stable surface, and if the diver is familiar with the gear setup and weight

As always there are many ways to skin a cat and end up with a great meal.

Some of you have seen people getting hurt donning the rig overhead, I'd like to ask them: have you not seem also people getting hurt donning gear by swinging it around? or some other methods of donning?
I have... I've even seen people squirming into a BC set on a bench and end up so twisted they were 100% immobilized, I did see it but can't quite describe how in the world they ended up tied up.

Some people (maybe old farts, I admit) started diving before all the experts over-analized to death every single step of the "get your gear" process. I learned the word "donning" just a few years ago.

Most of the people that get their stuff over head, didn't start doing this last week, they started quite a bit ago with different gear, a lot simpler gear. Their gear changed over the years but only the procedures that "needed" change did so.

To call these people macho is inaccurate (to say the least). The fact that today's diving is done for the masses doesn't allow individuals do their thing.
I agree with people complaining about idiots doing things they don't know how to do. But just because someone didn't start doing things in a certain way (and this includes the blessed mask on forehead) doesn't make that action on itself bad-unsafe- macho or whatever the scuba dictators want to make.

Some of you have seen people getting hurt donning the rig overhead, I'd like to ask them: have you not seem also people getting hurt donning gear by swinging it around? or some other methods of donning?
No. I have not seen any accidents from people sitting down to don their gear. Go figure.

Yes. There may be more than one way to skin a cat, but I've heard that cats don't like ANY of them. :wink:

The mask on the forehead is a good example. I learned to dive that way. If it was done that way on Sea Hunt it was OK with me! That was a while back and there were a lot fewer "rules" to diving then. I don't do it now cause it annoys the ---- out of the PADI group I enjoy diving with, but do I still forget occasionally. It just is not as comfortable draped around my neck, but then I did discover that it doesn't get knocked off the top of my head in the waves that way.

Somehow I just don't see the mask on the forehead as a reliable, sure sign of panic. It could be an indicator of difficulty, sure but so are a lot of other actions, that by them self may mean nothing, but taken together as a complete picture may indicate that some one is struggling and needs assistance. If I wanted to ever go the DM route then I'd have to think differently about the "rules".

I see plenty of techniques, gear set-ups and dive styles that I wouldn't use but if it's not really a danger to the diver or others then it is no concern of mine. The PADI Rescue course taught me not to be afraid to ask tactful questions about another diver's actions and gear, but not to intrude with my opinions or assistance unless it is asked for or really necessary for someone's safety. I've seen some pretty intrusive, opinionated busybodies pushing their "rules" down another divers throat.

It is shown as standard practice in a 1996 PDIC manual but I don't have their latest.
I didn't know they had a revision that new:D

if it's not really a danger to the diver or others then it is no concern of mine.
Aye, there's the rub! I have seen the injuries and the practice makes me shudder. Please don't expect me to come over and call you a stroke if I see you doing this near others. I will just make that mental note about your level of situational awareness and dive around you accordingly.

That being said, I apologize if you believe that I am trying to force something down your throat. I'm just expressing my opinion like anyone else. Certainly there is a modicum of room here for me to do that.

I will just make that mental note about your level of situational awareness and dive around you accordingly.

Thank you, how I wish more people behave in this matter.

For the others out there: if you see someone doing something you don't like and the thought of telling them comes to your head, ignore that thought. Stay away from that diver, let it be.
Go home and tell your friends or get it out of your system here in this board.

I am late to this party, but I find the overhead donning of the Scuba Unit to be over the top (pardon the pun). What purpose does it serve, except to show the virility of the person demonstrating their lack of decision making skills.

I have seen 4 people hurt doing this. A broken thumb from a diver who got hung up in his gear, a severely bruised arm of an innocent bystander, a graze of an innocent bystander's back on a boat and a face plant of a tank as the bystander was trying to assist the other diver.

I see it as nothing more than a stunt, and a dangerous one when others are around. It's unconscionable on a boat. It's really ONLY safe in the water. Do it there if you have to macho!

You can add yourself to the list of those who frankly don't know what they are talking about and that is my opinion. Thank you.

N

You can add yourself to the list of those who frankly don't know what they are talking about and that is my opinion. Thank you.
That kind of cavalier disrespect is consistent with the mentality that fosters a dangerous practice as somehow being "OK". That's pretty common in Scuba Diving and I see it cause a lot of pain and death.

Back
Top Bottom